trx250r vs. trx450r dirt wheels article

Troyaughenbaugh

Feb 8, 2009
wrightsville,pa
I just picked up a copy of dirt wheels and it was 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. The contenders were the trx250r and the trx 450r. They both were set up by CT racing. They both had ct exhaust and new rubber and both were rebuilt on the top end to make the comparison fair. The 250r made (I believe) 33hp and the 450r made 44hp on the dyno. They said that the 450 had a VERY SLIGHT advantage in the holeshot, but it all depended on who got better grip. They are extremely close in performance, pick up a copy and take a look at it, you won't be disappointed.

Somebody else mentioned that article a few days ago....I think its pretty cool that 20+ year old 2 stroke can still hang with the modern 450's. That's why i love 2 strokes lol.

BS!! 250r made 38hp or so STOCK.. add a pipe and etc. it should easily be in the 40s hp wise. this is exactly why I stopped reading/buying/subscribing to DW a few years ago... its all just BS about who is putting the most advertising $$$ in their pocket

B)

BS!! 250r made 38hp or so STOCK.. add a pipe and etc. it should easily be in the 40s hp wise. this is exactly why I stopped reading/buying/subscribing to DW a few years ago... its all just BS about who is putting the most advertising $$$ in their pocket

B)

i agree the 06 yz 125 motor made 34hp if you dont belive it look it up. so i would think the 250r made more than 33hp..

ya the 250r makes a bunch more hp than that, even though it would make some sense seeing as how the blaster makes about 18 stock but the 250r makes more for sure

yea i read that article... funny after all that time and technology... they are still having a hard time out performing the 250r...classic..

i had an 88 and with to god i never sold it... that damn thing out performed just about everyone i rode with.. it was so damn nimble...

It was a good article over all they went into real detail abou8t the 2 quads and the came out even in the end.

But the most surprising thing in the article was that hold is going to discontinue the 450r.