transmission froze up

125pb

Apr 25, 2010
3000ft above sea level, 70-85F
ok so ive got this blaster from a guy that said everything was good. but get it home and the trans is stuck in gear so i wingle and jigle it to get it in netrul then i find out there is no 5th or 6th gear and the trans oil is empty! so i figured that a rebuild is needed. has anyone rebuilt a tranny on a blaster???? if so was it difficult and what tools do i need?

you'll need a set of basic wrenches,
a rubber mallet (or a hammer and block of wood)
decent sized screw driver
automotive harmonic balancer puller and LONG m8x1.25 bolts or studs
o yeah....and a penny to hold the gears on the side while you loosen the bolts

it took me around an hour and a half to split the cases after getting the motor out of the frame

yeah, you'll need a flywheel puller and a crank installer too. the long bolts are for the harmonic balancer puller....pm dualstroke he has some good pics of some things

I did mine with only a flywheel puller. You will need a dead blow hammer or a good rubber hammer for the crank though. I changed my crank bearings and all I used was a 21oz. dead blow. You should change the bearings while you have it apart also. Put the new bearings in the freezer for an hour before installing, then do the same thing with the crank after the bearings have warmed up. and make sure to use plenty of oil on all the surfaces before installing anything.

i really hate doing that with a hammer, you do stand a risk of collapsing the gap in the crank for the rod, making the clearance too tight. it seems like people are getting away with it though

so ill need a fly wheel puller, a harmonic balancer puller, and a crank installer? anything else special? oh and another question how would you know if you have a seal going bad or is already bad, like a crank seal or tranny seal??? i dont know what has been done to this motor and i know it has been left outside so water got in the crank im flushing it out as we speak but it still seems really hard to start?

All new seals and bearings are common sence when rebuidling,no matter what situation.

You will also need a clutch holder.

the penny doesnt work,and a nickle doesnt either.

Your shifter cam may also be damaged. Check everything out good before you slap it back together. I did mine with just a flywheel puller and a dead blow hammer. Oh and I used a channel-lock style oil filter wrench instead of a clutch holder. You make due with what ya got, know what I mean?