toughest wheel paint

sam0840

Aug 16, 2008
What's the best paint that will hold up on wheels. Not pcing. Thinking of doing flat or semi flat black not gloss since all my other accent parts are semi flat pced. Unless gloss will hold up better

Perfect preparation, priming and a few coats, fully rubbing down between coats and just enough coats to cover will provide a good chip resistant finish.

The more paint you apply, the greater chance of chipping.

600- 800 primer, 800 top coats.

If you are good at spraying you can apply the top coats wet on wet, but the chances of curtains are much greater.

Theres a really durable product specially made for rims called plasti dip ... It's almost like a plastic/rubber paint similiar to spray on truck bed liners. I have never used it myself but have heard good feed back on the product. It's a little pricey but would still probably be cheaper than powder coating, especially if you have to ship the rims to get p.c.'d.

Find someone you know that has a small sand blaster (little hand booth). Clean off the rims really well, then clean with some alchohal or something. Use primer for 2-3 coats, getting it smooth with 800g wet/dry sandpaper. Then buy engine header/high temp paint from auto parts store, do 3-4 layers with minor 1000g wet sand paper in between. When you are done, find a junk oven, and put the rims in it at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes (after you let the rims set 3-4 days) to fully cure the paint

Theres a really durable product specially made for rims called plasti dip ... It's almost like a plastic/rubber paint similiar to spray on truck bed liners. I have never used it myself but have heard good feed back on the product. It's a little pricey but would still probably be cheaper than powder coating, especially if you have to ship the rims to get p.c.'d.

I dont think plasti-dip is very strong at all...

Kid at school (moron) plasti-dip sprayed his whole car (camaro) and he did his chrome rims. It started chipping off the rims in 2-3 days! and he only drives roads, much less brush filled trails...

He ended up peeling off the very edge of the rim so it wouldnt come off more...