TORS-like problem, but TORS is removed

Lindso

Posting this for my buddy that can't remember his login to the site haha. Here's his list of upgrades, and then I'll explain the prob;

-2003 yamaha blaster 200cc
-K&N air filter
-V-force 3 reeds
-4* timing advance
-Vito's fat bastard full exhaust
-35mm carburetor
-270 main jet

The RPM band has recently become very limited - the engine won't rev past a certain point - I'd say it maxes out at 75-80% of a normal RPM range. This is both at a standstill and on the move. Also, power has significantly decreased through all throttle, not just at WOT. As the title states, TORS is removed, and has been for quite some time.

New top-end gaskets were just installed this past weekend, new spark plug, carb cleaning, along with an inspection for any other abnormalities regarding the piston, cylinder or head, and everything looked just fine, but unfortunately did not help anything. We've also tried rejetting to sizes in both directions, also yielding no changes.

Everything else is relatively new - the top-end was rebuilt with new piston, done by Kennedy Powersports about a year and a half ago with probably less than 30hrs of actual ride time on it, and there were no unusual occurrences that would have caused this. It's basically a 'last time we rode, everything was fine and today it's not' type of situation.

Any advice on what to check/replace/change is greatly appreciated. I'll provide more info if more is needed lol. Thanks a lot guys.

-Lindso

after rebuild was there a leak down test. If not could of had a leak and
burnt up rings=loss of compression= loss of power

doesnt matter it has a air leak and is runnin lean which if its a bad air leak could burn up the rings reall quick

Ya, do a leak-down and comp test. Check ALL grounds are clean and tite. Try trimming 1/4 in off plug wire. Ohm ALL electrics, try swapping cdi, coil or maybe even stator. Just a process of elimination.

Hopefully cyl isn't to much clearance and rings haven't lost sealing with such low hours.

Any change if you pull the choke out all the way? This could mask a lean condition and point you in the right direction if it helps any.

My bike is the one with issues. In my signature are the mods I have... Its not running lean due to piston looks great with no pitting or anything of the sort. Very low carbon on poison as well. I did notice I can push the piston left and right a little inside the cylinder.

Also my cylinder had been ported for my exhaust and reeds and head squish redesigned by kennedy power sports, 35mm keighin pwk carb with 170 main jet, cfm air box from project blaster,

Last edited:
you need to do a proper plug chop on this thing, looking at the piston is not the best method. do a compression test and a leak test. post the results then we know what we dealing with. assumptions are the mother of all disasters. Do not assume your motor is good condition, test it.

I have never done a leak down test on a quad only on cars. How do I do that? Don't want to put to much air pressure in there

Do a search on leak-down, can either make tester or someone here sells them, holds 6# for 6 minutes. On a side note, I also have a Fat Bastard, how do you like it? Nothing but stock to compare with but I think it's great.

I love the exhaust. Awesome sound and everything. My cylinder is ported for the exhaust so that might help.