Top end???

Joe Bennett

Jan 6, 2015
I am looking to replace top end and gaskets In a blaster I just purchased... It was running and riding great for about 2 days... Previous owner told me he had just done top end. I'm not sure if it needs top end kit or just gasket.. Not sure if it was his sh*tty work??? Won't kick start but will pop start and only stay running when giving it gas it looks like smoke is coming from top end gasket in front? And it smokes like crazy out the exhaust now wtf.... Best way out of this and best top end kits and procedures? Thanks

I don't know as much as most of these guys but maybe you mixed the oil too rich and are fouling the plug. Maybe the exhaust isn't sealing against the head is where the smoke is coming from. Maybe?

It could be the exhaust would that cause it not to start I'm getting smoke from the front of the motor could be exhaust gasket I wasnt sure

What I was thinking was maybe your fouling the plug. Do you have a new plug you can put in? When the oil is mixed too rich, the plug can foul and make it very hard to start. Like I said, I am no pro on 2 strokes, I am new to them but I am good with 4 strokes. someone will chime in soon.

It was running fine yesterday put my buddy on it who hasn't riden in a while he stalled it a few times I was able to get it running again... But today I couldn't get it to kick start.. I changed oil and put new plug still nothing.... I then pulled the bike and pop started it def getting alot of smoke out the exhaust and from the front of motor not sure if it's coming from top end or exhaust??!!?

Have you done a compression or leak test? Leak test is very important on a 2 stroke. If it is sucking air it will destroy the engine quick. I wonder if previous owner heat cycled the engine? It was probably a lot warmer when he did it too which means he jetted for warmer temps.

The oil that is in the engine is for the tranny. A 2 stroke has no oil in the crankcase, they get oiled by the oil in the gas. You are mixing the gas or have the oil pump on the bike don't you? I figure you do since it is smoking. What are you mixing your oil/gas ratio at?

Ill have to see if I can do a compression test on it tomorrow would a blown exhaust gasket be causing no start situation?

Yeah I was just letting you know what I had done I drained the crank case and re filled it figured it wouldn't hurt

I don't think the exhaust gasket would make it not start. Do you have a leak tester? You REALLY need to get that done. An air leak will destroy you engine and cost you lots of $$.I don't know why it would smoke more unless it was mixed rich or maybe jetted to big.

It's black smoke out the back and smoky out of either exhaust gasket or top end idk how to determine what it is

no compression checks compression. A leak tester will pump air in and see if it leaks out. if you are sucking air, you will go lean and burn up the engine fast. I bought a tester off AWK08 and my blaster had several leaks. You can have good compression and have leak somewhere. You really do need a leak tester.

Sounds like you do have low compression. A good indication of this is hard starting, also it is not good for your quad to be pop starting it. Compression test will help you determine what condition your bore and piston are in. Should be at least 100 psi, normally 125 on fresh engine. A 2 stroke must be air tight for it to run properly. The air to fuel ratio is critical to engine life. On an air cooled motor such as this, the fuel cools the engine. Not enough fuel or too much air will melt your piston. A leaktest will help you determine if you have extra air entering the system. Do a compression test, and then a leaktest. Although you may need a top end rebuild, the leak test will let you know where your problems are, and if you have leaks in the bottom of the engine, you want to know so you can fix them while doing the rebuild, not find them after you have it back together.

Joe Bennet and Jeff Bennet, split personalities?

Odds are good it either wasn't leak tested or re-torqued after heat cycles. If for whatever reason you decide to tear it down (head gasket?) leak test it first. Then leak test after re-assembly. Then heat cycle, then re-torque head and cylinder.

A leaky header pipe could have caused it to run lean on fuel and may have damaged the piston.

Pull the pipe off and look up the exhaust port for signs of damage!

Reactions: Jeff Bennett