Should I open up the ports on Piston?

• Yes, that is the smart choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrbrocco

Aug 18, 2007
Background ,
Ok, so my blaster has been sitting for about 2 years after I melted a hole in my piston (used br6es instead of an 8 or 9) Cylinder was ok still smooth, head was fine except some sanding of metal bits, crank case looks like it is no metal got down there surprisingly.
Question - I had kennedy powered do an aggressive trail p&p but since im replacing my piston, does that normally get ported as well?

Also I'm looking into either a namura or wiseco piston(opinions/experience on namura). I have used wiseco before and tend to lean towards them. Also anyone heard of the vito's superstock piston kits? Thank you for your answers, also it is good to be back! I forgot my account info and haven't been able to login in like 2+ years XD.

Keep your grubby mitts well away from the piston, other than giving an area where a crack can start, you could upset the balance..

Using a br6es plug would not have been the demise of your piston, it in itself would not have caused any extra heat.

The piston would have been destroyed by detonation caused by either a poor choice of jetting, fuel octane. an air leak or a starvation of fuel.

If the hole in the piston went right through it would be advisable to split the cases and clean/replace the bearings.

listen to blaaster he has probably forgotten more than we will ever know
I just have to make comment here, most of my knowledge has be obtained by the making of mistakes [and I have made a crap load of them] and learning from them.

It is not that I have forgotten things, the problem is that I cannot remember them.

I am finding it difficult now [ post stroke ] I get so confused by even the simplest problem.

I do not even have the piston yet, as far as cracking the case I have a feeling that will be more work than it is worth as I do not have anyway of putting it back together correctly without taking it to Blocker's which is a yamaha/harley dealer so they are usually really expansive. The pictures of the aggressive P&P should be here on the forum somewhere actually. I had to have it done twice, the first time looked like some whack attacked it with a Dremel and turned the surface into that of a golf ball. The second time around(after posting the pictures and getting word out of the terrible job he did) he said that he was away and someone else did the job (i recommended termination of said employee) he got the job done and it came out quite nicely.

I just have to make comment here, most of my knowledge has be obtained by the making of mistakes [and I have made a crap load of them] and learning from them.

It is not that I have forgotten things, the problem is that I cannot remember them.

I am finding it difficult now [ post stroke ] I get so confused by even the simplest problem.

X-2 on learning by mistakes :rolleyes:, my own and others. It costs nothing to learn from other's ;)

Physical and mental excercise is key to recovery/ halting degradtion.

To OP, jmo stay away from namura, go Weisco, only few bux more.

Nothing special or hard to splitting or assembling a bottom end. Even this old caveman can do it :p
There are vidios or lincs to them in the engine section. Home made tools abound on the site, case splitter, clutch holder, etc. Engine, DIY, maybe other sections, use Google advanced search here.

If even a grain of silica from the piston burn through has got into the crankcase, believe you me that it is more than worth the effort to split the cases and inspect/clean/replace the bearings.

One grain smaller than a pinhead lodged in the crank pin bearing can cause castostropic engine failure.

Believe you me I have seen it happen so many times.

Ok so if im going to be tearing my crank cases apart, wheres the best place to take it/tools to do this job. I do not have any kind of press to press the crank back together..

I didn't sit down and do the whole thing at one time, but to tear it apart, inspect and clean parts, and assemble everything, in one sitting would probably take a few days. I don't have the attention span to do it all at once so I did it over a span of about a week. I also had a friend helping me. Two pairs of eyes are better than one.

If you've got thework ethic, the right tools, and experience you can do it in one day . Hell a few months back I stripped mine down, changed cases and put It back together in 2 days. That's working until 1-2 am with all of the parts already had of course

Watch those KOR videos I just rebuilt my engine new bearings and all with no problems and I've never torn a atv engine apart ever the case puller I built with a quick run to value hardware and used a piece of angle iron that had holes in it and the right metric bolts I also had access to a lathe to turn a point on the center bolt to put in the center of the crank but I don't see why you couldn't use a grinder to do the same it might take a while but it should work fine I think the total cost of my case puller was like 15 bucks and that was only because of the mess of bolts and washers I bought to make sure I wasn't running back and forth to the store