Top end rebuild question?

004blasty

Jan 29, 2014
Illinois USA
Ok so you can probably tell from my name that i have a 2004 blaster, and I figure that it is due for a top end rebuild. I compression tested it about a month ago and if I remember correctly it was about 105 -115 psi range. I don't really have the money to hone out the cylinder and buy a new piston. I was wondering if just taking apart the top end and replacing all of the gaskets would increase the compression at all? Any help regarding top end rebuilds is appreciated thanks.

No it would not raise compression.

To raise the comp you would need to move the head closer to the cylinder. AKA, thinner gaskets.

110 psi is alright, workable but not perfect.
Rebuild time is at <100psi

No it would not raise compression.

To raise the comp you would need to move the head closer to the cylinder. AKA, thinner gaskets.

110 psi is alright, workable but not perfect.
Rebuild time is at <100psi

Ok,say I was to get thinner gaskets how much would that improve the compression. It seems to run pretty well, on full choke it takes about 2-3 kicks to get started.

I have no experience with gasket thickness, but i dont think it would affect enough to get you +120

a thinner gasket is only .020 inch thinner than stock i do believe

if your piston and bore are in good shape.i would have it measured[thread on here somewhere on how to do it and check if roundness is in speck].If all checks out in spec you can hone and replace rings.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Or X-2 on what harley said, hone and rings. Can probably loan-a-tool from Autozone (etc) for the hone.

If you are down to 105psi there is going to be some wear there, changing gaskets is a band aid solution.

You need at least a new set of rings and a cylinder hone.