Top end question

Zbskater400

Aug 8, 2013
Massachusetts
If you have low compression or you just wanna rebuild your top end can you buy the same size piston and rings ? Or does it need to be bored and honed ? Would the compression raise from a new piston and new rings ? My compressions getting low and the piston that is in there is a 67mm

Have to measure cyl for out of round and taper. And measure piston. If in spec you could get away with just rings. If piston is worn but cyl reasonable, new piston/ rings.
IMO, if more than half the wear spec of cyl, get it bored. Cost of bore isn't much when figured against piston, rings, gaskets, and honing.

Have to measure cyl for out of round and taper. And measure piston. If in spec you could get away with just rings. If piston is worn but cyl reasonable, new piston/ rings.
IMO, if more than half the wear spec of cyl, get it bored. Cost of bore isn't much when figured against piston, rings, gaskets, and honing.
Okay will do... I've done it before ken o connor lives fairly close to me and I had him bore my cylinders before, just wanted to know if I could get away with piston and rings but thanks for the input !