top end kit or piston kit needed???

coorslight

Jun 9, 2009
puyallup wa
so i just bought a blaster with a 240 kit and it wont fire up, the guy i got it from said it needs a topend kit or a inner pressure plate. I cant kick start it, so i strapped it to my truck had the old lady tow me and i dropped it into 1st and the tires locked up then i tried higher gears and it didnt lock up and started wanting to fire up, but id let the clutch out and it would die. in 5th gear it was sounding like a baby 2 stroke engine and started to sound like it was running so i would rev it and it would build rpms a little bit, then let the clutch out and it would die. this is my first 2 stroke so be easy one me. Sorry for the run on sentences i was thinking and typing fast. Also why would u need a top end kit over a piston kit? and vice versa.

i'll be easy,if u need an entiree top end (jug, cylinder, and piston) if the current top end is on its last bore, which means the cylinder walls are too thin to rehone and start fresh, without the risk of the bike getting to hot and fryiing rings or piston again. Now if your tope end is not on its last bore, say its punched out .10 over, u can then get a piston kit (i prefer wiseco) thats a .40 over kit and all u have to do is get the cylinder head rehoned,this allowing u to start fresh and its like having a whole new top half of the motor. if u have more questions lmk.also major things for a 2 stroke to run,gas,air,compression and fuel

so i popped the head off the piston says its a 62.95 mm and there is 3 noticeable grooves in the cylinder so im pretty sure top end kit is in my future

yeah i'll get some pics up and yeah i accidently hit 6 instead of 7. also who thinks a non running blaster with a 240 kit a hot rods crank, v force reeds a bigger carb 34mm??. a banshee axle and plus 4 swing arm and a dg pipe for 200 bucks was a good deal?hahah

A lot of times the ebay sellers will call a top end kit a Piston, Rings, Gaskets, and a wrist pin bearing. Some call the cylinder and all the top end kit. It just depends who you're dealing with.

Ok so I took my piston out and it says 72.95mm what size new piston do I need to buy??? And does it matter if its off a yr? I have a 04 blaster

Ok so I took my piston out and it says 72.95mm what size new piston do I need to buy??? And does it matter if its off a yr? I have a 04 blaster

All years blasters are the same for pistons.Any year will work.YOu will not want to order a piston till you get it checked out at a shop.It will need atleast honed,but may need to be bored.Do not order a piston till you get it measured.Can I ask what made you pull the top end apart?

Wow, sour earth really does leave a nasty odour in the nostrils.

Why not start a brand new thread stating what you have done and why.