Toomey B1 leak

Wheels

Dec 6, 2012
Washington
I dug in to my Blaster this weekend to fix a leaking pipe and a broken hangar. I ran in to a few issues along the way:

First, the O-ring between the pipe and the flange was missing. I did some reading on here and I saw suggestions to run it without the O-ring or put exhaust sealant on it. I don't want to half ass the install on a $400 pipe so I'm not going to run it without an O-ring and I will DEFINITELY NOT be using any sealant. It took me hours of cleaning the crap off that the previous owner used which also didn't properly seal. I e-mailed Toomey about a new ring today and will order one when they get back to me, whatever they cost they are worth it.

Second, I got an EBay exhaust gasket and it didn't come close to fitting. I got a refund but the seller claims to have sold hundreds of these without issue. The issue may have been due to the Toomey flange vs. the stock flange. Do any of you guys have experience with this?

Attached are pics of the flange/gaskets with a spare head. The EBay gasket is the super skinny one but seller says this is normal.
1qfn83.jpg

20tjc0h.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt, I ordered an OEM gasket from KOR earlier this week. I am still waiting to hear back from Toomey about an o-ring, I've e-mailed them and left a voice mail with no response.

Toomey ended up getting back to me about a day after I posted this and I ordered two o-rings from them. I spent a lot of time this weekend working on the Blaster and I am just about ready to put it all back together. I will post an update here as soon as I'm done.

i am also wondering this due to today i was working on my blaster and looked inside the pipe and the o ring had become brittle and all broken apart also where can i get an exhaust flange?

Toomey ended up getting back to me about a day after I posted this and I ordered two o-rings from them. I spent a lot of time this weekend working on the Blaster and I am just about ready to put it all back together. I will post an update here as soon as I'm done.

How's the progress?

While I had the bike apart I decided to add a few things and inspect the top end and carb.
I did the following and I just have to take care of a few finishing touches before I go riding this weekend:
-New pipe hangar, o-ring and gaskets
-Leak down test
-Carb inspection
-Moose Podium front bumper
-ODI lock on grips
-Maier race cut hood
-CFM air scoops
-Graphics (not finished yet)
-Alba nerf bars
bevonq.jpg

5f27uh.jpg

2jfhpxj.jpg

2h80dog.jpg

2ik72g3.jpg

i am also wondering this due to today i was working on my blaster and looked inside the pipe and the o ring had become brittle and all broken apart also where can i get an exhaust flange?

Are you running a Toomey? They sell all the various components for their exhaust systems including the exhaust flange. It's on the spendy side just like everything they make but you get what you pay for I:I Blaster Pipe Parts

in my clymers manual it says replace the o-ring everytime i have the exhaust off? is this true?

That's what I plan on doing so I made sure to order a spare. IMO it's worth the $4 for the peace of mind and the time you will save re-doing things. To quote one of the senior members here "Never enough money or time to do it right, always enough to do it over.."

That's what I plan on doing so I made sure to order a spare. IMO it's worth the $4 for the peace of mind and the time you will save re-doing things. To quote one of the senior members here "Never enough money or time to do it right, always enough to do it over.."

haha, yep i was just thinking about that today with my leaking head, i was going to pvc it because i was pissed and just wanted to ride but i was like nehh

haha, yep i was just thinking about that today with my leaking head, i was going to pvc it because i was pissed and just wanted to ride but i was like nehh
Where do you have a leak? Is it actually out of the head gasket or are you talking about something around the exhaust flange?

I run the toomey b1 in my 06 and am trying to figure out what spark plugs to get and what gas and oil mixture I should use, anyone know. I just got a blaster and am interested in knowing. Thanks.

B8es plug.

32:1 premix, good 2 stroke oil, not an oil for weedwhackers or chaisaws or outboards.

Leak test and plug chop.

Plug chop explained.

Before you make the plug chop run it is important that the float level is correct, the idle is set correctly and there are no air leaks in the system, otherwise the smoke ring may lie about the AFR.

WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING.

Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, apply brakes to come to a stop quickly.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/plug-chop-how-vid-48226/

This is a good to go plug.

2wr2fwo.jpg

This one is a little rich, but I would run it, I like to be on the safe side.

plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.

Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.

The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet curcuit.

I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

I run the toomey b1 in my 06 and am trying to figure out what spark plugs to get and what gas and oil mixture I should use, anyone know. I just got a blaster and am interested in knowing. Thanks.

32:1 and I run amsoil. It is the best performance wise. Or at least that's my opinion.

Akraus5: We are making the 32:1 recommendation based on the assumption that your Blaster no longer has the oil injection system in place, if it does there is no mixing required but you should probably read up on how to prime the pump and verify it is working.