Too much oil?

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
What kinda of problems would to much oil mix cause?

Reason I ask is cause I had some gas that I wasn't sure if it was mixed or not so I put about 6 oz of oil in roughly a gallon. Since then the blaster is real hesitant after your shift, and when I took it to do a plug chop I couldn't get top end in 6th, but it ran alright up to wide open. I'm gonna have to start mixing something else with klotz, to hard to tell that is been mixed. If it was mixed before this would roughly be 11oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas, lol.

Lean. That and it would prolly foul plugs. Best bet is to drain your tank and start fresh 32:1

hmm plug chop came out good i think, trying to get my gfs phone so I can get the pics of the plug and some other goodys for another thread:). base was mediumish brown.

heres the pics

Attachments

• Photo-0023.jpg
    Photo-0023.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo-0024.jpg
    Photo-0024.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 149
Id first start by getting some known good gas correctly mixed and then go with the usual diagnostics.

Did it just start this or what?

If it was fine before this premix incident id go back to the last thing you modded or changed.

What kinda of problems would to much oil mix cause?

Reason I ask is cause I had some gas that I wasn't sure if it was mixed or not so I put about 6 oz of oil in roughly a gallon. Since then the blaster is real hesitant after your shift, and when I took it to do a plug chop I couldn't get top end in 6th, but it ran alright up to wide open. I'm gonna have to start mixing something else with klotz, to hard to tell that is been mixed. If it was mixed before this would roughly be 11oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas, lol.

One needs to be precise when mixing gas and oil, near enough is not good enough.

If you are running at say 32:1 and you add more oil you will run lean as the oil takes the place of fuel.

It is important to mix the same ratio every time you mix, or re jet to suit the air/fuel ratio and confirm with a plug chop.

Drain the tank, toss out the fuel, mix up a fresh batch and all should be well!

Ya I'm gonna put new fuel in, thats the only thing that I have changed motor wise. Is it possible that the 260 is a little to rich and then with the less fuel leaned it out, making the plug chop look ok? It has been running basically fine on a 240 main for 2 years now.

Ya I'm gonna put new fuel in, thats the only thing that I have changed motor wise. Is it possible that the 260 is a little to rich and then with the less fuel leaned it out, making the plug chop look ok? It has been running basically fine on a 240 main for 2 years now.

Have you swapped jets about, I am confused.

Also if you are running an aftermarket pipe (even a DG) 240 seems too lean to me!

Beg, borrow, or steal a leak down tester, it is a must for anyone messing with 2 strokes.

It had a 240 in it since we got it but I didn't figure this out till a couple weeks ago when I had the carb apart. So I ordered a 260 and put in it last week, only have rode it twice since going with the 260 and it helped the top end noise that was conserning me, I have even considered goin up to a 280 and see if that helps more. The only time I have any problem is when I'm pushing it really hard on the sand bar. This top end has about 40 hours on it so far and still pulls strong. btw the pipe is a full cobra system.

It had a 240 in it since we got it but I didn't figure this out till a couple weeks ago when I had the carb apart. So I ordered a 260 and put in it last week, only have rode it twice since going with the 260 and it helped the top end noise that was conserning me, I have even considered goin up to a 280 and see if that helps more. The only time I have any problem is when I'm pushing it really hard on the sand bar. This top end has about 40 hours on it so far and still pulls strong. btw the pipe is a full cobra system.

Top end noise, was this detonation?

Mix up some 32:1, put in the #280 and plug chop again. You wont do any damage with a larger jet.

So round 2.

I went out this evening and filled her up with fresh gas, and took of to the bottoms for a chop, and made me very sad when it did much the same. Rode home and cut the plug and it was a little lighter than the other one that I posted pics of, then thats when I noticed it. I had all my plastics off yesterday to paint them, and I'll be dipped if the one thing that I forgot to put on was the airbox lid. So out of curiosity I took it up the rode and it did much better, it pulled nice through 6th gear, unfortunetly I didn't have another spare plug to do another chop so it will have to wait until morning. Then came the amusment of trying to explain what the point of cutting the treads off a perfectly good plug was, mind you he is a mechanic for a living and grew up wrenchin on everything.

So what is your jetting now, and is the lid on or off?

The reason you cut threads off a perfectly good plug, is to make sure the jetting is correct, giving maxium performance at minium re build cost.

IMHO despite what anyone says, plug chops need to be done regardless the cost!

jetting is 260 with the lid on, like it should have been during the last chop, but due to forgetfulness it wasn't. I'm gonna run to town tomorrow and get a couple more plugs and do a correct chop with everything as it should be, lol.

Heres the plug from today, you can't reallly see it as well as the other one
lrORk.jpg

Cant see by the pic.

I have been trying to find out some info on the Cobra pipe, but keep drawing blanks. maybee someone else knows what jetting they like.

Are you happy to run with the lid on.

If you dont need the lid use the #280 and plug chop there.

How does it run 1/4 to 3/4 throttle?

ya I have never been able to find anything on them either, there was one other member that had one I found, and then phragle kinda confirmed it and said that it was one of the first a/m pipes for the blaster, but that is all I know about it. I've always ran with the lid on and haven't really had much notion to take it off,

1/4 and 3/4 runs like a champ

Have you done a leak down test, from #240 to #260 and now consdering a #280.

Maybe you have a small air leak somewhere.

i doubt it, it has ran for 2 years on the 240, only reason I switched is cause everyone with even the basic a/m pipes recommend nothing less than a 260, and because the slight noise on the top end that I can only get to happen at one place so it may not even be tied to jetting, it just could be the load of a 300 lb ahole ripping in the sand. I figured that it runs great on both the 240 and 260 that maybe a 280 will be a little better and over jet me that much more, or it could be too much don't really know yet. I need to get some new plugs and do a chop with the 260 with good gas and everything as it should to get a proper reading then I will go from there.

Top marks for hanging there with the plug chops, even if the #280 is a tad rich at least you will be on the safe side.

The reason I promote a leak down test, is that seals wear, carb boots can crack, and lots of little factors can cause an air leak.

Running good or not, I religously leak test my bikes at least every six months.

I have been caught with a cracked carb boot before, runs well at idle and steady riding, but show it some bumps and vibrations and it leaked.

If you do a leak test, flex the carb boot very well to open up the cracks!