Too much crank play?

89custom

May 27, 2008
GTA, Ontario
Little help for my friend with a blaster, mine doesn't need a crank don't worry lol. but if his isn't up and running then I can't ride mine either!

So! Here's a video of the play. it has no vertical bearing play, just that slight side to side, which I don't remember if its normal or not, that's why im posting instead of taking mine apart.

The issue was it was improperly jetted and we think something took a crap as it was making some bad noises and SQUEAKING. Squeaking as in a dry bearing squeak. Top end bearing feels fine, all tight but i figured from the start it was the crank but this alone isn't enough for me to say lets change the crank, as that's a hell of a job. We don't know what else could be shot. we pulled off the mag cover and checked if there was play in the mag side main bearing and there was not. we cannot get it to make the same noises unless its running. Everything sounds and feels good when rotated.

A little help bros?

Thanks

P.S. I do have video of the sounds it was making, you can't really hear the squeaking as it was my gopro and it didn't really pick it up. LMK if i should edit it and post it up to hear, I don't think its necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
My manual states thet the play at rod tip should be 0.8 - 1.00 mm, but I am sure that a little more will not do any harm. I have heard of guys reassembling with 3mm play at the tip, with no problems.

My screen is not the greatest, but that crank seems a bit dry, when you revolve it does it pick up oil, there should be enough oil in the bottom to bathe it in oil.

I have never heard of it before, but, could the squeaking be from overheated, dry crancase oil seals.

It also sounds a little dry.

Sling a few mm's of oil in there trying to aim some down towards the bearings.

that run-out as its called is good, looks normal. Im worried it might have been something else like a counter balance shaft thats jiggling in a worn bearing? we have seen pics of when thats happend before.

What state is the motor in in general? has it ever been overhauled? if so how many times? how hard is it ridden? its unlikely that the counterbalance bearings would go but if its old and worked hard it may.

Its a 90 i believe and it wasn't ridden hard previous, mine was beat on way harder and shes still ok. my counter ballencer gear actually exploded one day but the bearings were still fine.

Thats a good call on the squeeking being the oil seals possibly as they are shot he just hasn't got around to fixing them. i just don't know where to start with this damn thing. maybe crank seals and heli-coil the 3 head studs, jet and see if it keeps doing it.

When i first heard the noise, first thing that came to mind was crank bearing but i guess not.

I was crying when you were jerking it up and down! ROFL!
As the others say, that is all good! Could just be a dry seal,

Lets hear it!

Another thought, you mentioned stripped head threads, if the squeak was in time with the compresston stroke it could have been a head gasket leak.

well while you are at it, get the clutch cover off and so some investigating in there
allways investigating but my rule of thumb for the cost when in dou"t rip it out you spend a couple of bills to redo top end cank cost like 180 on e-bay that with bearings seals gaskets you split the case yourself all kinds of vids for help with that you got a new engine top and bottom . there is a technical verbage between engine and motor

allways investigating but my rule of thumb for the cost when in dou"t rip it out you spend a couple of bills to redo top end cank cost like 180 on e-bay that with bearings seals gaskets you split the case yourself all kinds of vids for help with that you got a new engine top and bottom . there is a technical verbage between engine and motor

Man, seasons starting, we don't have the proper tools to do it, plus its canada. we're looking at a lot more time + money just to change the crank. heres how i did mine back in the day lol.

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

Next level crank pulling apparatus.

But yeah we'll do some seals, obviously inspect once the clutch covers off, i ain't new boys. Think a re-ring and hone then she'll be fresh for the season.

I don't know if you guys remember but i had purchased my bb kit used and the guy had decked the head and it was running like 175psi compression lol. think it was 13.7:1 or something stupid like that. Got fed up with c12 fuel and got the head re-done to 11:1 and she runs beaut now with no high octane. So the ol beast is runnin strong these days still. Neglected her last year and barely rode it, got out twice already this year and its the shiz. Fired up for more rippage.

wood chisels???really??? LOL. Anyways, Blaaster has a point, perhaps a air squek via a leaky head gasket??

Needed something that were all equal size, spread fully across the case halfs and solid. they worked beauty and we didn't damage them of course, my dad wouldn't let that happen he loves those lathe chisels. SO NOT HATIN! :D