Too hot?

Jeff Bennett

Oct 26, 2014
Ok, I know I am running a little rich with 0 air leaks (I know for sure, leaktested) I know I am rich, I have the airbox lid off and if I put it on it don't run right. I am running a 290 now, used 300 first and it ran good but the 290 seems better. I have not plug chopped but am going to. My question is I rode for about 45 minutes the other day and the quad ran great but when I got home I noticed the connector to the headpipe to silencer (rubber one) was melting some so I put my temperature gun on it and it was 254 degrees. I am not sure if the exhaust connector was bought for that or if the PO may have just used a piece of clear rubber. Anyway is 250-260 too hot and what could cause that besides being lean. My exhaust isn't blocked either.

The answer to the question is plug chop the main jet and the needle at around 1/2 throttle.

Is the exhaust pipe sealed at the cylinder and free from air leaks?

Reactions: Jeff Bennett
yes I sealed around my exhaust at the header flange with that copper rtv high temp stuff and it doesn't leak there. You know though, after thinking, I may have a pin hole leak where the hanger for the power core 2 broke off the pipe and I welded it back on. I am going to go make sure that is sealed. thanks blaaster

Just wondering, could the +4 timing key make it get hotter, even if jetted right. Oh, and the pipe is sealed.

Last edited:
Doing the plug chop today, just haven't ridden it again. I just got to thinking about the timing key. So, I need to do a 1/2 throttle chop? I guess the plug should look the same as a full plug chop?

Sure does.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 160
Reactions: Jeff Bennett