To rebuild or part out, that is the question.

Trimguy

Mar 16, 2015
Littleton, Colorado
I picked this up the day after Thanksgiving. The previous owner said " I was riding it and it just quit. Now the kick starter won't move".
It looks pretty stock except for the Pro Circuit pipe, drilled air box cover and K&N filter. Plastics are uncut, just scratches . I think the front tires are original and the rears are about half tread. IMG_20141128_145300.jpg

I pulled the motor today on this is what I foundSAM_0622.JPG
I wonder where the missing skirt went? There is a joke there.

Rebuilding will have to be up to you. We don't know what money and time your willing to put into it. I would first check the cases for damage so you can get an idea how deep into it you will have to go to fix it.

Yeah, its all up to you. You can make a little money selling parts or spend a little or a lot on rebuilding and making it your own. You will need to split the cases to clean the bottom end, and put new bearings and crank seals. You can check everything out as you go to see how its been treated. Need to check your bore size too, to see where its at and if you can go any bigger for the rebuild. These are fun machines with quite a few options!

What you have looks like a good start. Like said above it all comes down to time and money. You don't have to go crazy, and could get it running without spending a ton. That is if your cases look good. Good luck deciding.

While you are at it give everything a good look over so you know where you stand. Check bushings, axle bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and stand it on and to see if the frame is bent at all. They usually bend right behind the lower a arm. It will look like a kink of sorts.

If the frame is good and everything else checks out than you may want to rebuild it. If the frame is bent, bearings are bad, and ball joints are all bad you may want to part it out. That's all up to you though.

with that skirt dropped, I'd be looking for cracked cases to determine if it's worth rebuilding

I stood it up to make sure there were no holes in the bottom before I bought it.
I think the rod has a little too much side to side play. I'll find out more when I split the cases.

I stood it up to make sure there were no holes in the bottom before I bought it.
I think the rod has a little too much side to side play. I'll find out more when I split the cases.

cases can get internal breaks between the crank area and balancer or trans areas from that piece of skirt down in there, jus sumthin to look for.