thinking of investing...powdercoat

Mborso1029

Oct 2, 2009
SouthEast MI
alright so heres the deal...im in the middle of my rebuild and still need many things coated...i have spend about 4 bills on just powder work so far...now its time i am wanting to do my clutch cover and cases...and finding out for the tapework neccessary on the case halves its veryy expensive. for the cases and cover i had a quote for 220 for 220. well i am very hands on and usually have to try and and do everything at LEAST once. so i think its my time to give PC a shot, id like to hear from some of our PC'ers how they got started. i have no problem putting th emoney out for a starter kit from eastwood or something just bc who knows how long ill last in that hobby. but the good news is, i work at a ford dealer as a tech, so i have access to a 4 vehicle ovens. as well as a sandblaster

how hard was it when you began, if you have the right tools and prep material is it hard to mess up? ive been watching vids and i mean ireally dont see too many difficult steps, other than just having everything you need

I have been doing the same thing. Money is my roadblock....

It doesn't seem to be very difficult tho.....

Where have you been looking at buying your equipment at? I found a whole outfit on CL a guy was wanting to trade for a utily 4 wheeler. Said he had $7k in all of it. Not sure if that was accurate but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to sink that much into it....

Not to bad to do just need the right equipment and the place to store it all.Prep work is #1.A good sandblaster will help tremendously.There are powdercoating forums out there to help you out if you need it.Good luck.

ya i sat online last night reading on those forums, and i think its something i can get into, i just wanted to be sure its something, not to hard before i spend the money. i just purchased a sandblaster a couple weeks ago, so thats no problem. as long as you get a good blasting job on it, and handle it right, its kinda hard to mess up right? i may buy like a cheap gun to start out with just to see if i like it, then upgrade if i do get into it.

ok i found a dude on my local CL thats got a setup for sale. he wants 350 and he has a starter PC gun and powersuply brand new in the box. along with a 24x24x24 fisher lab oven. the oven is used but the gun is brand new never opeened and he wants 350 what do you think? is the oven worth it?

I wouldn't trust a HF gun unless Boostfed actually owns and uses it.
HF is hit or miss on some stuff and a having a GOOD PC gun is important.
My gun from Eastwood only cost $100.
Also an old used home oven can be had for free from a friend/family member getting rid of it or real cheap from someone else.
A home oven will do every part on your quad but the frame.
I even did my +4 swinger in an old home oven.

what kind of gun does he have? Ovens are expensive but you can use just a regular household oven or toaster oven even for small parts.

hes got the habor freight gun. brand new in the box. i was more interested in the oven then anything. id figure i would buyy abetter gun down the road

my cousin has a SMALL oven that he does small stuff with..He uses a hr gun and its ok for what hes doing.. i agree it might be worth the extra $$ to buy a quality product..

i dont know about making a track system in that link i had.. Id try to do something along the lines of a hanging deal..or just put together something with 90* bent mild steel so it could slide in and out..

im going to call my friend he works at an industrial lighting and heating warehouse.. see what they have..ive been wanting to do this for some time..

idk where your at in mi but....

stove

+1 to that idea.
It's like this.
A home oven will do everything but the frame.
If your gonna buy an oven big enough to do the frame then your gonna find it ain't worth it.
It would be way cheaper to just get the frame done by a pro.

ya i was thinkin of using one but was unsure...home oven is even prolly a little biger than a 24? also what kind of 110 do most ovens run on ? i dont have 220 in my garage. thanks for the link as well. i think im gonna startt looking for osmething like that bc this guy called and said he forgot about me and left to go to the store when i was 5 mins from his house. so it kinda pissied me of this was like half hour ago, luckily im only like 15 minutes away but still. we made plans for 7 now hes playin games...how do you forget plans you made 2 hours ago to sell something.

my frame is already done...all i need now is all the small parts i didnt get done on the first trip to the pc....which is almost everything except what you see in the avatar