The Tavern - Your Chatter Feed

Found out only yesterday that our main water lines are Asbestos!

That's Transite pipe. Its actually Asbestos and cement mixed. From what I've been told, its safer than lead. Asbestos doesn't leach into the water as easily as lead and copper, the real hazard it poses is when it becomes airborne.

Out of all the leaks I've fixed in 16 years, Transisite pipe breaks the least.

Dirty,, one thing I don't miss about workin in the family buis is the water leaks.. Middle of winter in a hole filled with freezing water and chit caving in on you and you cant feel your hands, boots start to leak and frozen toes..

Thing is when you fix one leak , one or two more op up somewhere else. It pays to have a good operator and a good set of eyes in the ditch so they don't "accidently" hit the pipe and make it worse. Are other utilities run next to/on top/ under or close to the water lines, or is it by itself? Don't want to hit an electric line while in a couple foot of water... :eek:

Transisite pipe does seem to hold up for some reason and some of that stuff is OLD.. Its when you cut it you need to be careful..

That's Transite pipe. Its actually Asbestos and cement mixed. From what I've been told, its safer than lead. Asbestos doesn't leach into the water as easily as lead and copper, the real hazard it poses is when it becomes airborne.

Out of all the leaks I've fixed in 16 years, Transisite pipe breaks the least.
That is comforting Fred, I was starting to worry!

Dirty,, one thing I don't miss about workin in the family buis is the water leaks.. Middle of winter in a hole filled with freezing water and chit caving in on you and you cant feel your hands, boots start to leak and frozen toes..

Thing is when you fix one leak , one or two more op up somewhere else. It pays to have a good operator and a good set of eyes in the ditch so they don't "accidently" hit the pipe and make it worse. Are other utilities run next to/on top/ under or close to the water lines, or is it by itself? Don't want to hit an electric line while in a couple foot of water... :eek:

Transisite pipe does seem to hold up for some reason and some of that stuff is OLD.. Its when you cut it you need to be careful..

You got that right. Electric is mostly overhead here. I mainly have to contend with Gaslines, and sewer force mains.

I'm the operator, and it isn't as easy as people think. You have all that stuff in the ground that you don't want to hit, and just have to scratch away, with someone probing the ditch.

But, I chose this life, and I don't mind what I do. Just this time of year is really busy. I'm heading back out as we speak.

in October (?) our school lost power for close to an hour

about a block away they were boring rod into the ground and hit the main power line because the people who marked them did a poor job. 4 feet before they hit the power line they missed a 4" gas line by only 8 inches. if they had hit the gas line without knowing it, and then continued to hit the power. there would have been a big boom!

Last summer I started building a shop on my side of the garage. This weekend I'm either getting a shop compressor or mig welder. But every time I come out here I smile.

Last summer I started building a shop on my side of the garage. This weekend I'm either getting a shop compressor or mig welder. But every time I come out here I smile.

I would love if I could get my garage in a more organized state. Tools and a small car make it hard.

Those holes in the combustion chamber will cause hot spots. I also don't see where they took .030 out of it. It looks like they took a wire wheel to it. That's my take on it.
They cut it down but if someone has tight clearances they are going to have issues with detonation and or over heating. Plus you can shave them down your self with a file, but before doing that I would recommend you checking your squish first. Last but not least for that price and little more you can get a totally cut and re chambered/re shaped head. <<< That's where its at..

Anyone ever plug chopped there stock Blaster? I was thinking how much in the "safe" range Yamaha jetted them for.. I know some came stock with a 220 and 230 main.

When I got my lads bike the first thing that was done was to remove the air box and fit a foam filter directly on the carb throat.

Yamaha must play it pretty safe as the #230 jet passed the plug chop test.