The latest finished project, KTM50

mystahagy

Feb 27, 2008
Corpus Christi, TX
Well about 3-4 weeks ago I snagged this on Craigslist for $100. It was a 2000 KTM 50 SX Pro Sr. It didn't run right, but this thing was kept covered so it had ZERO corrosion. The best part, it had full paperwork. That's original receipts, manuals, title, parts catalogs, etc. Basically it had no damage, no corrosion, no seat tears, and all papers. It was only dirty and didn't run right, so I had to snag it. Here's my only before picture, which is pretty bad.

KTM.jpg

After getting it home the typical process began. Gently dig into it looking for obvious issues like compression, ignition, dirty carb, and start researching like crazy on the internet. My ignition didn't match what everyone else had and it had some fancy looking disc clutch very different from the stock 2-shoe centrifugal clutches. After much research I found myself on the phone with the guru of this particular bike. He says this particular bike I've got was one of only like 100 or so bikes from the factory with PVL ignition, R&D dominator clutch, R&D dominator pipe, and aggressive porting.

I find testing specs for the PVL ignition and the stator ohms out of spec. PVL wouldn't sell me a stator, but forwarded me to a distributor and I had my $165 stator on the way. Impressive to see this rotor, stator, CDI, and coil on a 50 compared to the stock ignition that's about as fancy as a lawnmower ignition. Long story short, while waiting for the stator, I stripped it to bare frame and cleaned it to my liking. Split the cases and put in all new gaskets and replaced a crank seal. Someone in the past put RTV silicone on every surface, which drives me crazy. Cleaned carb, new air filter, put on ignition components at the correct specified timing, and fired her up. Smoked like a biatch at first because I spread a lot of premix on bearings during assembly, but she cleaned up and that motor is oh so snappy. It's amazing how hard this motor hits for a 50! Unfortunately don't think I'll be able to keep it. I had ideas of using this as a pitbike for my track events, but this is made to be a light, nimble, and fast bike for a 70lb kid to fly on. Any of us big kids will eventually burn up the clutch or crack the frame. I don't really purchase stuff with the intention of flipping for a profit though. I enjoy the process and it just worked out this way. In this condition and full paperwork it should pull 700-900 bones. Anyways enjoy some pics of the finished product.

P1010415.jpg

P1010416.jpg

P1010418.jpg

sweeeeet, i'd keep it, but thats me

You know I'd really really like to. This thing is a lot of fun, but I am afraid of busting it with my 170lbs. It's not like an overbuilt crf50 or similar with a strong frame and oversprung suspension. It's made to be exactly what a 70-80lb kid needs to win on the track and nothing more. I actually have it up on craigslist in nearby cities in trade for one of those overbuilt small bikes. A strong framed Japanese small bike with tall bars and motard tires are what I'd eventually like to have to zip around at the track...when I'm not on the track. :D A pitbike used as a pitbike.