swingarm length affect turning?

ky88blaster

Apr 24, 2016
Ive got my 88' blaster project together and running, and now im trying to figure out what I want to do with upgrading the rear suspension. I dont mind the stock length for trails, but it makes it kinda tricky on steep hill climbs. I think +4 would be a little to long and it might make it hard to slide around when I want it to and make tight turns in the trails?

I really want to go with a round house swingarm setup and hopefully run a yfz450 sprocket/brake setup for more ground clearance. I did some test fitting and I found that a yfz450 swingarm fits in the frame and will bolt up with a small bit of modding. id say then maybe I could play with adding a bracket to bolt up the yfz linkage and make me a new upper rear shock bracket to go with the longer yfz shock? it would be interesting if it works good.

An altered wheelbase will affect the sensitivity of moving around on the quad. The shorter you go, the more pronounced the effect will become. Going from a +4 to +2 is not as significant as +2 to stock length, etc. It's close, but not equal.

The rule of thumb is to go as short as possible while being able to keep the front end down for where you plan on riding. Riding style and power will have a lot to do with it as well. Some people have an easier time keeping the front end down than others when all other things are equal (EG leaning backwards vs. actually sitting on the back of the seat).

I'm unsure of the length of the stock YFZ swingarm but I believe tha tit is significantly longer. I also like no-link setups where possible due to weight. Sometimes, you have to base your decision off of what room you have to work with and what your stock shock mounting location is.

Fwiw, I prefer a -1" on my Banshee.