swap blaster motor for what motor?

blasterman87

Nov 17, 2008
what do you guys think, im thinking of selling the motor out of my blaster on ebay and putting the money towards a diffrent motor ? i want something reliable but also fast, i want to stay 2 stroke i was thinking a yz250,yz490,cr250,rm250, something like that.. ive read alot of build threads on the yz490/400 swap and it seems fairly easy i just want some opinions... or should i just stick with my motor?

The 490 swap is fairly common because of the power and the fact that it is still air cooled. They are fairly easy to find, but not as easy to find parts for. Most of the other swaps you mentioned would need to have a radiator installed, but would really be the way to go in my opinion. Maybe a TRX250r motor, they have huge big bore kits and many add ons for that motor, not that they really need it, they are pretty quick from the factory. Maybe even a banshee motor with a 2-1 pipe and single carb kit, if you really wanted to get crazy. You can pretty much put anything you want in there.

I'M DOING a tri Z swap because i had one laying around.

i thought about my brothers 84 250r swap and they have a big bore kit to 300 and it's air cooled, but the chain is on the opposite side etc wasnt sure
is i wanted to deal with all that.

if I were to a swap for another 2-stroke it would be the yz250
and if I were to do a 4-stroke swap, it would be a yz250f

heres some specs i found

2000 yz250-43.7 hp
1986 yz490-46.5hp
1994 ktm 550mxc-66 hp
1986 cr500-60 hp

the 490 is only up by 3 agenst the 250 but i bet the 490 has alot more torque

yeah its just alot newer... but heres some food for thaught, the stock shee only has around 35hp.... so any of those motors in a blasty if set up right should smoke a shee..

I know someone that is selling a 490 dirtbike it was actually just put together i live in new jersey he probably doesnt want much for it pm me for more details!

heres some specs i found

2000 yz250-43.7 hp
1986 yz490-46.5hp
1994 ktm 550mxc-66 hp
1986 cr500-60 hp

the 490 is only up by 3 agenst the 250 but i bet the 490 has alot more torque

well those numbers arent accurate and your not going to get crap for the blaster motor so you might as wel l just mod what you got and make it rip

i know what your saying flotek but if i go with a 240 kit, thats 500, stroker crank, 175, port job around 150 ill have around 800 in it and im worried about the reliability of it if im going to put 800 into something i dont want to be rebuilding it every year... but if i go with say a 490 motor, i can find them for about 500-700 depends, and plus id sell my blaster motor to help with the cost.. and both would have about the same amount of power with the 490 being stock so it would be reliable.. am i thinking right or am i fugged up?

well youll be putting money in that 490 motor though and the relibilty wont be any different plus all the fab work and then custom exhaust work youll have nearly same money in it and it will vibrate strong

theres really no relibility lost when adding a bb kit and stroker with port work? i was always told the more work you did the less reliable it was

yz250 swap would be fun

If you could do all the fab work for under ~$150 you should come out even or ahead after you buy and sell everything.
Don't know how realistic that is though.