suzuki gsx 600 rear brakes

biggrobb762

Jan 18, 2011
HARFORD CO. MD.
well thanks to AWK i decided to put a street bike rear brake in my blaster and so far i have the bracket fabbed up and welded on and the caliper bolted up its starting to rain so i have to quit for today all i have left to do is weld the bracket for the master cylinder and add to the brake pedal but heres some pics so far
5145-rear-brake-bracket1.jpg

5146-rear-brake-bracket2.jpg

5147-gsx-600-rear-caliper.jpg

5148-gsx-rear-brake-caliper2.jpg

looks good robb, the purpose of my kits are for those bro's who don't have access to a welder, and the skills to do it,
and when i build my master parts, i always start with the pedal extended first, then you can raise or lower the master on the frame to match, that one looks a little high to me, but may work ??
just be sure the extension is pushing the master rod straight up into it, they tend to bind if pushed on too much of an angle
lemme know if i can help at all, i've built over 50 of them and might know a trick or 2

looks good robb, the purpose of my kits are for those bro's who don't have access to a welder, and the skills to do it,
and when i build my master parts, i always start with the pedal extended first, then you can raise or lower the master on the frame to match, that one looks a little high to me, but may work ??
just be sure the extension is pushing the master rod straight up into it, they tend to bind if pushed on too much of an angle
lemme know if i can help at all, i've built over 50 of them and might know a trick or 2

thanks and yeah i was already looking at the angle and the hight i have another pedal and a template that i made to see how its gonna work and i think its gonna be good but we will see i will post pics maybe today

awesome bro, good fabbin for sure !!!!!

Not trying to threadjack but truer words have not been spoken.

Pappy Awk is looking out for the flock.

If only I had seen the advice to start with the pedal BEFORE I welded the master cylinder bracket on. I figured out what he's talking about!

On a side note Awk, when you design the pedal extension, what is the length between the pedal pivot and the master cylinder clevis hookup hole?

On a side note Awk, when you design the pedal extension, what is the length between the pedal pivot and the master cylinder clevis hookup hole?

for my bolt on master brackets i have gotten this measurement down to
4 1/2 inch extension to start, welded on a slight angle downwards, prolly 10 to 15 degrees , this helps with the angle, so it pushes the rod straight up in, then usually cuttin off a 1/2 inch extra after the hole is drilled, and everything mocked up
i've finally made a jig so they all end up the same angle and the holes have consistantly ended up at 90mm from the pivot barrel of the peg since then, and i end up cutting the rod off till just one nut above the clevis
i may one day get it perfected so i dont have to mount each one ?????

Does it take 3.5" of extension to get the GSX-R caliper to stop?

I made my extension about 2.75" and the pedal would stop the rotor but it only moved down about 1/4" and was tough as iron to push down. I didn't have enough leverage on the master cylinder while having too much travel.

I'm also using an 03+ blaster rear brake system so I don't think the master cylinder needs as much throw as the GSX-R master.

i end up with a 4" extension, and that has nuthin to do with "throw needed" it has to reach where the clevis ends up when the master is bolted to my bolt on bracket, i only have so much play for where the bracket has to bolt, a welded on bracket can be moved up or down the frame rail to infinate positions
my experience tells me the angle has more to do with how much pressure it takes, most of my set-ups could be pushed down with one finger and lock em up, even at full speed, i've tested mine and my sons < which was a little harder to push than mine, but still the pedal only moves about a 1/2 inch, but thats all that is needed,
and has worked great on around 50 sets i've built so far

The reason I threw "throw" (no pun intended) out there is the GSX-R brakes are dual piston but use basically the same master cylinder.

I'm using the single sided nissan caliper from a yamaha warrior (same setup as the 03+ blasters) which has a single small piston. Not as much fluid needs to be pumped to move my single piston as does to move the dual pistons so the pedal throw needs to be smaller to get the same pedal feel.

I started with my pedal extension almost the same amount as you do and it was far too much for the system I'm using.... I think I'm going to end up with almost half of the extension you use on your systems which is probably about right considering the fluid requirements of the single piston system.

your master is also welded on, and prolly much closer to the pedal than my bolt on kits, which with a shorter extension, should give shorter throw
get me a pic so i can see what your workin with, see how far back these bolt ons sit...................
altcgk.jpg

see, that's where I made my mistake... I made the master cylinder mounting tab without regard to how long the pedal extension was going to have to be to reach it. After mounting the brakes worked.... but the pedal only moved about 1/4" down to full lock and it was HARD to push the pedal because of the loss of leverage.

Had I started with the pedal, like you suggested, I would have made the extension much shorter (to match the brake system I'm using) and then fit the master cylinder mounting tab to match. :-/ I made it incorrectly my first try.

Now I'm going to cut the master cylinder mounting tab off tonight and try again!