suspension and widening setup question

nick20555

Living life 2 strokes at a time
Jun 23, 2014
Just outside Evansville, IN
Alright to start off I will say that I own an 88 blaster. It has many things done to give it lots of horsepower (pretty much everything you can do except big bore). I raced dirt bikes a while back and wasn't too good at it so I got rid of my bike after breaking my leg in a race. I'd really like to get back into some very casual mx racing again and my blaster is something I don't mind racing since I've rode it over 10 years so I know how to ride it. We haven't done a thing to it besides the engine, exhaust and all that work. I want to widen it and upgrade the suspension but don't want to throw out thousands on a quad only worth a thousand. I did my research and found a very cost effective way to do this. I just want opinions for what people think of these parts and swaps.

Diamond J widening and shock conversion kit (reuse stock a-arms but adds 6")
I would buy some yfz450 shocks to put on it

400ex rear shock conversion

tusk rear axle (adjustable about 4-6" in rear)

I like this set up beacuse I can upgrade the suspension all around and add 6" all the way around for what I calculated to be $600 total. What do you guys think about all these? Any conserns? or does it look like a nice cost effective way to get a casual mx setup for a blaster?

The Diamond kit works very well, very strong and suitable for MX.

Bump steer can be controlled by altering the toe settings.

The tie rod extensions they supply are prone to bending and I recommend that aftermarket rods be bought.

You may need to purchase 2 bolts as some were supplied the wrong length.

The shocks fitted to mine are YFS 450 works and need the widening kit as well to put them at the correct attitude.
The lowering kit will allow 6 different ride heights.

You may need to investigate the brake cables to see wether thy will be long enough to widen it 6"

image.jpg

Last edited:
The Diamond kit works very well, very strong and suitable for MX.

Bump steer can be controlled by altering the toe settings.

The tie rod extensions they supply are prone to bending and I recommend that aftermarket rods be bought.

You may need to purchase 2 bolts as some were supplied the wrong length.

The shocks fitted to mine are YFS 450 works and need the widening kit as well to put them at the correct attitude.
The lowering kit will allow 6 different ride heights.

You may need to investigate the brake cables to see wether thy will be long enough to widen it 6"

View attachment 11073
Has yours been lowered? Looking at the pic you have it looks extremely wide and low. I don't want to lower mine just use the kit to widen it and attach the 450 shocks. Thanks for the warning on the tie rod. I'll look into that and the brake lines

DJ Widening kit - Never used it or seen it used, hopefully we have someone with exp on here
400EX rear Shock - Very good swap, one of the better suspension upgrades without spending $$$$$
need these: http://kenoconnorracing.com/400EX Shock on a Blaster.html
watch this:
Tusk Rear Axel - Planning on buying one for my new blaster, think I read a couple good things about it.
Thanks for the info. I saw those bushings and I will be getting them for sure and I have plenty of resources to drill out the bottom hole to fit

Has yours been lowered? Looking at the pic you have it looks extremely wide and low. I don't want to lower mine just use the kit to widen it and attach the 450 shocks. Thanks for the warning on the tie rod. I'll look into that and the brake lines
Mine has been lowered with the lowering kit.

By fitting the lowering lugs ion other position it will go to std height or higher.

You need the lowering kit to push the top of the shocks away from the frame to get the correct attitude.

Mine has been lowered with the lowering kit.

By fitting the lowering lugs ion other position it will go to std height or higher.

You need the lowering kit to push the top of the shocks away from the frame to get the correct attitude.
Ok. I was just checking because I read about what comes in the kit and how it works to get yfz shocks to fit and yours didn't look like the pics it had of a blaster with one so I thought yours must be set up a little different

I have the diamond J +6" kit on my blaster with yfz 450 shocks. It is a huge improvement over standard. I am also +5" on the rear with standard shock (I cannot get a second hand 400 shock delivered to the UK due to customs issues).

Apart from needing to source bolts for the kit I am very happy with it! :D

Attachments

• blaster low q.jpg
    blaster low q.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 5,316
I have the diamond J +6" kit on my blaster with yfz 450 shocks. It is a huge improvement over standard. I am also +5" on the rear with standard shock (I cannot get a second hand 400 shock delivered to the UK due to customs issues).

Apart from needing to source bolts for the kit I am very happy with it! :D
AWESOME! thanks for sharing. It looks like you got the set up im looking for and it looks great. Another question, did you have to cut a little of your front fender to get the top shock brackets to fit? if so, how much?

No problem mate, it is a great setup! soaks up some serious punishment! What I did was to install the shocks and mounts then attach the plastics. This required some slight force as the plastics have to bend maybe 1/3 of an inch. Then I used a small blow torch to help relax the plastics to the new shape. Job done with no cutting.

I can measure up the bolts for you if you want so you can source these before the kit turns up to slow any delays. Also if you need any help with the install or more pics just give me a shout okay.

During my setup change I also installed a hydraulic rear brake setup which is well worth the coin. (user on here AWK08 supplied this).

No problem mate, it is a great setup! soaks up some serious punishment! What I did was to install the shocks and mounts then attach the plastics. This required some slight force as the plastics have to bend maybe 1/3 of an inch. Then I used a small blow torch to help relax the plastics to the new shape. Job done with no cutting.

I can measure up the bolts for you if you want so you can source these before the kit turns up to slow any delays. Also if you need any help with the install or more pics just give me a shout okay.

During my setup change I also installed a hydraulic rear brake setup which is well worth the coin. (user on here AWK08 supplied this).
If it isn't any trouble then could you measure the bolts? That would help out a lot. I've also thought about the hydrolic brake conversion. I'll look into it

Yeah I will do that no bother, I will not be home till saturday but I will do it then. I have rear hydros and std front brakes, seems fine to me :)

Ok. I've been away on vacation but now that I'm back, I'm stuck with a decision. I know a guy who is selling a 98 blaster that needs a top end rebuild. Because it needs the rebuild and this guy owes me a bit for some things I've helped him with in the past, he said he'll sell it to me for next to nothing (as in couple hundred). I've kinda been debating getting a second blaster since there are multiple riders in my family and doing my work I had planned for my 88 and just doing that to the other one I buy. I have buddies that ride 400s and 450s and I talk a lot of smack to them lol. If I pick up this blaster, I am debating on getting CT Racing's complete 240 big bore package (their cylinder, carb, pipe, reeds). I have the money to do it I just want opinions. This thing is rated for about 40 hp (depending on carb). Do these kits really make that? I've heard CT porting is hit or miss, is that the same for THEIR cylinders as well? My goal is to be able to hang with my 4 stroke buddies. stock 450s make around upper 30s and lower 40s on hp so with the lightness of a blaster should I be able to run even with a stock 450? and modded 400s? oh and don't knock me and say "why not just buy a 400 or 450" cuz I don't want a 4 stroke. I love 2 strokes and I love my blaster. I know how to drive one better than a 450. At least I can man-handle my blaster, not the other way around.

the CT 240 is the mac daddy of blaster cylinders
properly tuned, it should hang right with the 450's until our gearbox runs out of gearing (they'll prolly still outrun you @ top speed)
DO IT ! IMO.

Thanks for the insight. Great to know I'm not alone or crazy in the thought that you can build a blaster to hang with a 450. Not too worried about the top end. Any one with other opinions? Are there different ways or cheaper ways to get the same or better results?

I have a question about the 6 inch widening kit from diamond j customs...if u don't mind me asking what size of tie rods should I buy for them because I here they bend easily

I have the Moose tie rods with my Diamond J kit. They are a bigger tie rod so you need to get the larger (I think M12?) tie rod extensions to use with them as well.