Surging at WOT

05blasterblue

Oct 1, 2019
30 pilot 340 main stock carb needle middle clip. Lrd pipe airbox outerwairs lid. Starts and idles perfectly does this weird surging at WOT. YouTube vid enclosed.

plug chops determined the 340 main ?

30 pilot ?
how many turns out on the airscrew gave you highest idle with the stock pilot that determined you needed to go leaner ?
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/
I've tuned a bunch of blasters in all states of tune and various pipes, including an LRD, not one wanted anything besides the stock 32.5 pilot (high idle less than 2 turns out on airscrew)
unless your at some "in the clouds" elevation ?

leakdown tested ?
float height correct ?
fuel cap vent working ?
reeds good ?

don't count out an electrical situation, they like to show themselves under load and act just like a fuel problem.
TORS deleted ?
ground at coil to clean bare frame ?
unplug key and kill switch one at a time to count them out
unscrew plug cap, inspect up inside, if good cut 1/2" off wire and re-screw it back on
if burnt or jenky looking, replace with NGK screw on cap from auto store

My bad it is the stock pilot jet. Reeds looked fine although they are a little old. Leak down passed. I've never messed with the flot hight maybe I will take a look. I'll blow through the vent cap just to make sure that's working also. Last year it was leaking out of the bowl some now it's not I figured it just needed a good cleaning.

Reactions: Awk08
plug chops determined the 340 main ?

30 pilot ?
how many turns out on the airscrew gave you highest idle with the stock pilot that determined you needed to go leaner ?
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/
I've tuned a bunch of blasters in all states of tune and various pipes, including an LRD, not one wanted anything besides the stock 32.5 pilot (high idle less than 2 turns out on airscrew)
unless your at some "in the clouds" elevation ?

leakdown tested ?
float height correct ?
fuel cap vent working ?
reeds good ?

don't count out an electrical situation, they like to show themselves under load and act just like a fuel problem.
TORS deleted ?
ground at coil to clean bare frame ?
unplug key and kill switch one at a time to count them out
unscrew plug cap, inspect up inside, if good cut 1/2" off wire and re-screw it back on
if burnt or jenky looking, replace with NGK screw on cap from auto store

Trimed the plug wire and did another plug chop. I'm thinking its fuel starved. This is my plug chop 1 to 3rd gear.

URL=http://s222.photobucket.com/user/ronscott54/media/20191002_114723_zpsg6nqaojj.jpg.html

Wow why is the smoke ring at the tip of the plug and not at the base!?

Try the plug chop again, wide open into 5th/6th gear ?

Well I'm dumb runs 100% better now. How do those look?

Attachments

• 20191014_142234.jpg
    20191014_142234.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 20191014_142249.jpg
    20191014_142249.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: Awk08
Well I'm dumb runs 100% better now. How do those look?

Plug chops look good, like right on the edge of rich/lean
I like it a little richer (darker ring) for peace of mind, and a little leeway if temps drop.
I'd try one size larger main, if it doesn't bog or foul plugs, run it