Sudden stop!

MercMenace

Mountain Man
Apr 27, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Was up riding in the mountains this last weekend. Having a blast(er). hehe. I can't believe how well received the blaster was this time around. Everyone wanted a go. However it is amazing at how few people know how to run a clutch.

So I opened Ryan's Blaster Riding School. Was teaching everyone how to ride. and most took to it very well. Along comes a 19 yr old, never been on a quad. I started teaching him the ropes on an Auto of my buddies to get him a bit more comfortable on 4 wheels. I started teaching him to use the clutch. He actually did great with me on the back helping him through. I figured I would let him run solo. Big Mistake! He got her going without killing it then got a bit shaky and Whiskey Throttled it straight into a tree. He was totally OK. Only thing that matters as far as i am concerned. I can fix the bike. I ran down to see if he was ok. then rode the bike back to camp.

Symptoms:
Idles just fine and runs well to 1/4 throttle. 1/4 - WOT. Dogs and just won't rev.

Specs:
1 1/4 AS
260 Main (plug chop confirmed just a touch rich)
Uni Air filter Lid Off
Stock Needle Middle Clip.
NO air leak.
129 PSI comp

Altitude 7200 ft. Temp 80 deg F

I am going to be pulling the carb to check float make sure main didn't come loose. etc. and to change back to my 270 main for being back at 5200 ft.

Has anyone else had a sudden stop affect their Blaster? Any other thoughts on what could be affecting her?

I did my comp tests and Leak test last night before bed. I hope to have her up and running again by weeks end for another camping trip.

removed every bit of it. Module, wires everything except the TORS unit itself. Can't afford a delete kit yet. I am also running a twist throttle.

You're giving riding lessons to inexperienced riders, with a twist throttle? You could get someone seriously injured...... or killed.

You're giving riding lessons to inexperienced riders, with a twist throttle? You could get someone seriously injured...... or killed.
Not if the correct way to use a twist throttle is being taught.

One cannot just jump on a bike with a twister and not expect to have their adrenaline levels raised.

Once the correct hand/wrist positioning is learnt, a twist throttle has a lot of merit.

Hold the throttle, wrist low. Extend the hand over the end of the bar end stops to damp out sudden accelerations.

End plugs are a must with a twister.
image.jpg

If you do not use end plugs with a twister, you must expect to experience some nasty surprises!

Last edited:
I have taught a lot of kids and adults to ride bikes. I know wrist position. however can we move this debate to its own thread or perhaps one of the ones that already exist? I would like to get input on my bike in this thread.

Back on track.

Some sudden stops can break the flywheel woodruff key and allow the timing to slip, especially if it was in gear when it stopped.

Is the exhaust still sealing well at the cylinder?

When you performed the leak test, did you flex the carb boot well, they have been known to fracture and leak only under vibration.

Last edited:
Good question on the exhaust and the boot. I will flex the boot while retesting tonight. As far as the exhaust it wasn't smoking at the Jug. If i sheared the Woodruff Key would it still idle well and run to 1/4 throttle? I may change the key anyways I ordered about 10 of them by mistake.

check float height and clean carb for dirt broken loose and clogging a jet.
i've cased it on a double jump and knocked the floats out of whack.