stripping loom 03+ help!!

benharcombe1985

Jul 5, 2014
I have an 03+ blaster and it ran and started fine although while its in bits ive started stripping back the loom to delete all bits I don't need now I've lost spark.

does anybody have a wiring diagram for my loom with all parts deleted I did see one whilst surfing here but iirc it was for pre 03 , my whole loom is uncovered id like to run a kill switch I also have a black wire coming from the stator just dangling I have noticed does this earth to the coil? As I have a wire on the coil bolt dangling yet all still ran previous maybe earthed up front also the green and yellow has been removed all the way down at the cdi plug end please help guys diagram that I can use like the easy wiring diagram in the sticky would be perfect ill have to trace the whole loom

you're going to have to cross reference between the easy 4 wire diagram and the 03+ diagrams found here.

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/easy-wiring-diagram-for-you.42927/

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/stock-wiring-diagrams.51842/

the only difference between the 88-02 4 wire and 03+ 5 wire stators is
*the brake light wiring on 03+
*the extra ground coming out of the 5 wire stator,
*the tors/park brake system being built into the 03+ cdi's, which require the wires connected as seen here....
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/03-06-tors-removal-diy.41973/

this is what I have now after stripping back all the tape and gunk

from the stator I have
red-yellow capped
red-black going to cdi red-black
white-red going to cdi white-red
green-white going to cdi green-white
black dangling (I assume this should earth at a wire I have on the coil bolt)

from the cdi wiring plug I have the 3 wires above
orange going straight to the coil
white-black dangling
black-yellow to black as a loop
the cdi plug has a green-yellow snipped very close to the plug as if unused??

voltage regulator wired are also just dangling

any help guys ive no chance of making any sense out of the Yamaha diagrams with my knowledge of wiring diagrams

everything sounds correct.
*connect that stator black to the coil ground black
*black/white at cdi should go to both key and kill switches, or whichever you choose to use, either/or connect it to a solid black for killing the ignition
*wires looped at cdi are the tors and is the correct way to eliminate it
*green/yellow snipped at cdi was for the parking brake circut and is eliminated correctly, just cut off
*voltage regulator is useless without the red/yellow from the stator for the lighting circut

Reactions: benharcombe1985
sound ive been checking it for the last hour maybe a dodgy connection since ive been fiddling with it all.

ill recheck everything tomorrow and wire a kill switch in properly ill sling the voltage regulator aswell if not needed meier nose cones look sweet anyhow lol

as all seems to be in order ill also check for cracked wires ect then dig my multi meter out and start doing some checks and report back tomorrow sometime

cheers ben

ive sourced a race made loom on ebay in the states , and after speaking the chap he thinks i have an aftermarket stator as i have 5 wires he also mentions a green will need earthing from my stator if i attach his loom

ill definately be checking mine before i purchase this as it ran fine before i touched the mess of a loom hopefully i can bribe it back to life with promises of many new shiny bits lol

he has a 4 wire loom from an 88-02 blaster, it can be run with your 5 wire stator with the green grounded as he states.
but the 5 wire stator and loom is stock on all 03-06 blasters, not aftermarket.
send ebay chap on here for some schooling :)

Reactions: benharcombe1985
guys ive been through it all and still seems nothing the coil is earthed good , the solid black from stator has been earthed all over the place just to Check any different and nothing

it ran perfect before ive set to it was just a mess I don't have a kill switch wired at the minute the black-white is dangling would that matter? As I assumed earthing that is what kills the bike

surely something couldn't have given up between me starting it after sorting the carb 2 days ago and me cleaning up the loom last night I have a multi meter and have continuity tested the loom for cracked wires ect all is good.

how do I test the stator is throwing out power from the wires with bullet connectors on as I'm tempted to buy another loom but cant work out why mine is now a dud oh the joys!!! And I'm out of ideas now

so the yellow-green from the cdi which has been cut or the yellow-green from the stator needs grounding now ive made my loom into a race loom??
this wire is chopped right at the plug since ive removed all the other tape ect ill sort my kids out and set about making that wire longer and earthing it properly

I'm about to get the fuel and matches out if honest

no, you have an 03 blaster, only when using an 03 stator on a 88-02 4 wire harness does the green from the stator need grounded.

when using an 03 5 wire stator with an 03 5 wire harness, it will go from the stator to the cdi, the cdi gets and supplies it's own internal ground with the black wire

above, i thought you said only the lighting wires have been eliminated from the stator/harness ?
check the wiring diagram to be sure you have all the wires needed from stator to cdi.

ive got everything in the easy wiring diagram although I also have a white-green from stator to cdi aswell

no kill switch connected would that matter as earthing black-white would be my kill switch?

new plug aswell ive tried screwing straight into the coil wire

I'm not having it that something has given up since being sat for two days without being touched as never had an issue ever before

ive got everything in the easy wiring diagram although I also have a white-green from stator to cdi aswell

that sounds correct
so the only wire cut at the stator is the yellow/red for the lighting ?

Also worth mentioning, the 88-02 has individual bullet connectors for the CDI and the 03- has a single plastic connector that plugs directly into the CDI. That guy on ebay probably doesn't know about that, if he doesn't know about 4 and 5 wire stators.

my stator wires are listed in the first post and mine has bullit connectors not a single plug my quad defo 03+ as it has proper brake pipe mounts at the front for the solid pipes

I'm talking about the CDI connector, not the stator connectors. On an 03- you should have a single big plastic wire connector plugged directly into the CDI.