Still No Luck Yamaha Blaster.

May 18, 2012
Scotland
hi i got a swap for a 2002 yamaha blaster it wasn't running due to not sparking got new plug and it started. it was running fine then a couple of days later when i went to go out on it it was dying out when i gave it throttle . i tried cleaning carb,removing tors system but still no luck at all .

was wondering if i replaced it with a new carb instead of that sh*t peice of junk with the thing on top of it if it would fix it? i am a mechanic but when it comes to this iv not a clue

the blaster is completely stock apart from a widened rear axle.

any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thank You

Getting the stock bike to run and tuned is way easier than swapping other parts on, don't give up yet, you'll get way more help later when we are all home from work,
Check my troubleshooting guide at the bottom of my Sig below

Try a new sparking and check your reeds for now

Last edited:
hi i got a swap for a 2002 yamaha blaster it wasn't running due to not sparking got new plug and it started. it was running fine then a couple of days later when i went to go out on it it was dying out when i gave it throttle . i tried cleaning carb,removing tors system but still no luck at all .

was wondering if i replaced it with a new carb instead of that sh*t peice of junk with the thing on top of it if it would fix it? i am a mechanic but when it comes to this iv not a clue

the blaster is completely stock apart from a widened rear axle.

any help would be gratefully appreciated

Thank You

If ya have access to another carb, it won't hurt as long as it's not to big of carb. But before you toss out the stocker, do these things

1. Remove carb and cap, disassemble carb, all jets/washers air screw and spring carb cleaner, then used compressed air to blow dry! Also spray jets/ float, float valve, needle, slide, then compressed air.

2. Right down all jetting numbers and needle clip position and markings (this will be invaluble when you want to jet it properly) Reassemble.

3. check float level, , just before float arm depresses valve spring- 20-21.5mm from base of gasket seat to highest point of float There are pics on here of how to- report to us what the jetting is, main is 220-230, needle 3rd clip, air screw 1.5 turns out highest idle and smoothest transition.

4. Clean air filter -re oil it

5. Check reeds, chipping, not laying flat on cage, (can see daylight through them), they need replaced.

6. If the quad sat for a while , possible mouse nest in exhaust pipe?

7. still no luck , follow the troubleshooting part in the manual.

8. Air leak test before you fir it back up!

i was thinking off rebuilding the engine as the quad was lying before i got it as the clutch cable,brake cables were rusty like anything. there not now but just not sure when it last had a piston it has correct compression but never know

i was thinking off rebuilding the engine as the quad was lying before i got it as the clutch cable,brake cables were rusty like anything. there not now but just not sure when it last had a piston it has correct compression but never know

If your able to, that's great. It will save you from having to deal with little problem popping up a lot. You don't really know how the motor as been taken care of in the past.

Cheers Man :) iv got a few things on ebay for sale so just waiting on them selling then il be ordering my kit for carb and my rear brake cable :) you got a video on how to fit a shorty rear brake cable the one that goes from caliper to foot pedal instead of to handlebars thanks

Cheers Man :) iv got a few things on ebay for sale so just waiting on them selling then il be ordering my kit for carb and my rear brake cable :) you got a video on how to fit a shorty rear brake cable the one that goes from caliper to foot pedal instead of to handlebars thanks

Nope. It's really easy tho. Just pull the caliper apart, and put the new cable in. Not hard. And u got any works shocks for sale?

i haven't mate sorry iv only really got a x2 2 stroke oil tanks as i mix my own as i feel safer that way. , are they stock shocks? if they are ebay is best bet as they are around £20 in my money probably be $35 in your money thanks.