Still a Problem

Mosca

Apr 7, 2010
Alright, I still need some help here, Ive been trying lots of things, anyone who can help me I would really appreciate it.

I have a 2005 Blaster, just bored to 66.5mm, new wiseco piston, installed oil injection block-off, TORS eliminator kit with idle screw, removed airbox lid, it has a vitos k&n style filter which I cleaned and oiled with a K&N recharge kit. Installed Boyesen Carbon Fiber single stage reeds, has the STOCK header and a Pro-Circuit 304 silencer. I live in upstate NY so its been cold/snowy. I just found that the little vent for the main jet in the carb throat was packed with dirt and I cleaned it out. I have the 230 stock main, 240, 250, 260, 270, and 280. Anyone have an idea which main jet is going to be closest? Ive tried a few of them but the quad just simply cuts out and wont hit powerband to the point where it seems electrical, like its getting governed early. I tried 230 and 240 since cleaning out the main jet vent but still cuts out at exact same spot in power curve. How much will the air screw change the way it runs? Ive been trying with it at 1.5 turns out, which is stock. I unclipped the e-brake sensor from the front, and unclipped the brake sensor in the back and removed it. I guess I still need to try the bigger main jets? wouldnt 240 be close and at least make it hit powerband? I mean its got the nice filter but I have to think the stock header is corking it up so it cant be flowing that much.

go to 250.
but what do you mean by cutting out? like it just stop firing?

Last edited:
Im not sure what spot firing means, but it basically idles great, sits there and purrs nice, goes into gear nice, give it throttle and let clutch out and it starts to go but then shortly after it just hits a wall, you can ride it and shift into second, third, prob fourth but it just goes super slow, give it gas but it just wont rev higher than a certain point. This is why I think it may be an electrical prob, something limiting the spark plug firing, after taking the carb off a couple times ive found its all wet with gas inside, this would mean too rich right? I may try putting the airbox lid back on to bottle it up and see if it runs on the 240.

sounds like the parking brake. it will let it idle great. but once you start to movie it wont allow it to rev up.

yeah that was a thought, but the thing is, I tested the brake sensor, and when it is on it cuts it out way earlier than this, like you cant even give it throttle without it bogging and dieing when the ebrake sensor is on. It lets me rev and get moving but just when you'd expect the little bit of powerband to kick in it cuts out instead.

and I guess I shouldnt say "cuts out" as I guess that may sound like I mean it dies, it doesnt die, it just doesnt go any faster or rev any higher. I can hop on and ride it up and down the street shifting up and down, but it just lugs around at low rpm, never takes off.

With an after market air filter and air box lid removed you shouldnt run the stock 230 jet. And with it being colder you want a bigger jet because the air is denser. I would start with a 250 or 260 and do a plug chop. 230 or 240 is lean and you could burn up your piston. As for it not having any power my guess would be the parking brake.

I really thought parking brake as well but at this point it doesnt seem to be it, when I hook the parking brake up and put it on, it wont let me rev it at all, it just blurbles and dies, when I remove it and unhook it it definitely revs higher, prob 1500-2000 rpm higher but then it wont rev any higher. It seems like right when I get above where the pilot jet ends and the main jet begins is where it stops increasing rpms, but again I would think it would at least run somewhat right, albeit lean, but it just doesnt have anything up top, is there anything else in the electrical system that will limit spark? I removed another pin-type sensor in the back but I assumed that was just for the brake light, that isnt another sensor is it? It was by the brake pedal and had a long coiled spring.

Im going to do a plug chop as soon as I can get it back out and ride it, got even more snow, ridiculous. I bought a new plug, will try that. I cleaned the carb out a few times now, I also removed the TORS put a motion pro kit on with carb cap, installed idle screw, being its an 05 I cut the TORS wires and spliced them together (opposite of 87-02 which are left cut and separate) As far as I know, the TORS would cut it before it even idles, and the parking brake sensor doesnt let it rev nearly as high as it will now, its just plain weird, even with a 240 with the slight mods and cold air, you would think it would at least run somwhat okay, just lean. But it doesnt, it just chokes when you would expect it to pick up in the power band.