sprocket and chain question

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
So I ordered a new set of sprockets for my blaster as the ones that were on it are showing some major wear. My question is since I didn't have the money to order a chain when I ordered my sprockets should I go ahead and change out the sprockets or should I hold off until I can get a new chain as well. The chain is also starting to show some major wear and also I can hear it grinding at times, but I believe I may have my chain too tight, as it only happened durning a deep stroke into the suspension. Also I was curious as to what the stock sprockets were as far as size wise, I order a 14 front and 40 rear, is this ok on a basically stock bike?

Thank You
Levi

Thats kinda what I was figuring, so I got a second opinion thank you.

So with the 14t I should get more top end, correct? Also how bad will it effect hill climbing performance, although I do have to say for only being a 200 and me being a pretty big guy, it doesn't seem to have any problems atm.

Next question which is a good chain to go with that isn't terribly expensive, I'm in college and working nights when I can so money doesn't go very far, especially when you get these kinda projects involed.

Levi

the chain I just got is a bike master? that is what the box reads it is an o-ring chain and seems to be doing good so far. I am pretty sure the shop I order from gets their parts from parts unlimited I got the chain and spprokets for 105 and some change out the door so that minus what you paid for your sprockets would be a good estimate on the cost of the chain

The best chains are either o-ring or x-ring. X-ring are more expensive. To my understanding the x-rings seals are almost like bearings (but not exactly) & they claim they have less drag? I would definitely change the sprockets with new chain. Wouldn't want the auto shop to change my filter & not my oil.lol......... Just kidding