spark plug question

foolish913

May 13, 2008
kansas city
can anyone tell me what the diffrence is between the ngk br8es and the b8es plugs? the book says for 2000 an under use b8es an for 2001 an up use br8es somehow i got mixed up an bought a br8es for my 2000 will it hurt anything if i continue to use this plug

The R means it's a resistor type spark plug and it won't hurt anything if you keep on using it.
I got this from NGK's website:

Q: When should I use a resistor spark plug?

A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.

NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.

They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

Reactions: foolish913
is this even a big concern? hate to but in, but should i be using a B8ES? i have been using a BR.

the reason i asked is because after putting on a new chain an sprockets an putting in the new plug i started hearing a pinging sound in my header an didnt know the diffrence in the plugs so i wanted to make sure it wasnt caused by the plug

The P is for projected tip or protruding tip. It's a slightly longer ceramic that makes the plug run a little hotter (not heat range) to keep it from fouling.
From what I've heard you shouldn't run one of these in a modified motor.
It's used in alot of smaller two stroke quads and dirt bikes where the kids may putt around alot and foul plugs.
The R plug in not needed either, unless your on your cell phone alot while your riding,lol.

The BPR-8ES is a great plug. Dollor for dollor it is the best performance gain you can get. If you knock your main jet down 1 you should feel a small gain in power. Over the B8 or BR8.

I hate it when im going down the trail and some ass is talking on his phoneB-) hang up and ride!!
=))=))