Soon to be 250

Chuckie25

Jul 25, 2012
Louisiana
1987 Suzuki LT270R (8 month resto/rebuild) soon to be set up for flat track (PSI expansion chamber and pipe matched ports)

1988 Suzuki LT500R already setup for flat track minus sway bar (.030" over, AAEN pipe and matched ports)

1998 Yamaha Blaster 200 (not your average lil blasty) set up for flat track minus sway bar (Paul turner pipe, track ported, Namura piston, Tri-Z 250 swinger and rear axle, Black Magic oiler delete, 85 ATC250R stock carb, no airbox) <-400 4-poke killer

Ok so I just copied my sig from zuki central/qrhq cause I was gunna put it as my sig here but can't find the thing in the cp for it..

My ole blasty has been running good and being quite a reliable machine. It's on the third year on the top end with the only problem having been a blown reed. Well now it got ZERO fire. I ripped around my yard to run off the rest of the old fuel and I pulled into my back yard and it stalled (cause you know how they get grooves in the clutch basket and no matter how hard you pull the clutch it'll still stall if you don't give it a little throttle) well it was also out of fuel. So 5 minutes later I had fresh premix, dumped it in and was fixing to ride to the track but it wouldn't start. So I pulled the plug, cleaned it (brand new plug with a tank an a half on it), and checked it for fire. NOTHING. I've triple checked everything now. Every connection has been unplugged, cleaned and replugged. The coil has been changed. Nothing. I'm going to check the amperage on all the electrical stuff (like stator, cdi, etc) and if anything is bad I have the Tri-Z engine out the bike that my uncle used to drag race that'll be swapped in. I already have the swingarm out of it on there and we need something the local 450 riders will race against (beat them too many times on the Zilla) but I bet their going to get scared of this one as well..

14 tooth front, 32 on the rear (off a YTZ200), 300EX shocks, +2 Yamaha Tri-Z swinger and +2 Tri-Z axle. The carb is off an 85 ATC250R and trust me it needs it. My uncle did all the port work to it and when he was finished had right at 2 pounds of aluminum shavings. The rear tires are 18x8.50-8 Hole-N-1 golf kart tires on aluminum rims (don't know brand) with stock Tri-Z hubs. The fronts are tires off of a mini crotch rocket and the rims are flipped to space the front more(I think). Stock brakes in the front, no rear brake (going to put the T-z stock master cylinder and rear brake caliper on it when we do the motor swap

photo-118.jpg

I kinda like hybrids I:I gotta have some pics of this swap & sum close ups of the swing arm mod ... heard peeps say they're gonna do the tri-z arm but never seen one completed ... 2 lbs of alum off a tri-z jug should leave ya with a cast iron sleeve :eek: ... LOL

I kinda like hybrids I:I gotta have some pics of this swap & sum close ups of the swing arm mod ... heard peeps say they're gonna do the tri-z arm but never seen one completed ... 2 lbs of alum off a tri-z jug should leave ya with a cast iron sleeve :eek: ... LOL

2 pounds off the blasty jug! Lol. I'll get pics today. What all y'all want, just where the bolt is?

If I get to not feeling like I was punched in the guy by rocky I'll get out there and give her a bath and get some better pictures of just it. I'd like to get it running again with the 200 motor in it but I cant figure out what's going on with it

if you can't fix it somebody else can , you could sell the motor depending on its current condition !

Lol I can fix it if it's not the stator/cdi gone out. I don't feel like spending a ton of money to get a motor running that will only be in there until my LT is finished. And the motor is staying with us. Too many memories in it ya know? Lol. The sentimental value outweighs the cash value

Yeah lots of pictures! Tech stuff for us gearheads.
I have a KTM 250 in mine, soon to be KTM 300, and maybe a Blaster 200 again if I build one for myself.
Swaps are a lot of work but it sounds like you have the experience and tools around you.

199410_10150167877235803_120228_n.jpg

I originally used custom mounts welded right to the frame, but the middle mount cracked.
I pulled the 250 engine to repair the mount and sent the cylinder out for a replate while it was out of the frame.
Turns out turnaround time is going to be weeks, so I figured I'd just drop the 300 motor into the Blaster.
Turns out the KTM motor mounts changed in 2003 so my older 300 won't fit. Grrr.
So I am in the process of making "modular" motor mounts so I can mount the 250, 300 or even a Blaster 200.

Just a word of warning about welding on the frame, the thin chromemoly doesn't like it.
If you have to weld on the frame I'd recommend reinforcing wraps of steel and spot welds to spread the stress rather than long welds.

About porting. My son runs a Blaster 200 and we had good luck with filling in the intake with epoxy.
The port windows are larger but everywhere else was filled in with about 2.5 oz of JBweld and Steel Putty epoxy.
Boosted the power everywhere. Powerband kicks in lower and holds longer, even off idle response improved.
This was just a test, but the results were amazing.

311570_10151068882040803_1767314697_n.jpg

The MX 250 motor in the light Blaster chassis has no problem catching and passing larger quads.
Gear ratio is a problem. The Blaster gearbox has twice the ratio range of any MX gearbox, so you gotta pick speed or crawl sprocketing.

Glad to have you on board!

Thanks for the info! I'm just swapping in the Tri-Z engine and have to weld in the tabs off the TZ chassis onto the blasty. I run flat track with mine and the only other thing I will take over it (handleing wise) is my Zilla. I ran a 400 into the ground with this 'little 200'. I'm gunna try and talk my uncle on my dads side out of his and swap in a 320 (i think. I cant remember) Rotax (250 with a 350 crank and jug). Air-foiler like what was run in th Franks, Tigers and Tricky Dick's Cagiva's.

Wow first time i seen someone use the word Cagiva !
Well on here haha
, I rode a 1987 Mx125 And wow that thing had some power to be old and needing sprockets and chain !

Forgot two things:

1) the rear tires are 18x8.50- Kenda Hole-N-1

2) that's my gaming YouTube channel. My motors/mechanics one is cj15941

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow first time i seen someone use the word Cagiva !
Well on here haha
, I rode a 1987 Mx125 And wow that thing had some power to be old and needing sprockets and chain !

Lol yea they built some mean machines back in the day. I'd kill to get my hands on a Tiger Super 4 or a Franks trike/quad. Cause I have a old school Rotax hook up xD

I want that Brake master cylinder haha ! , Decent looking quad for age and Location , Figured they all got rode hard and put up wet down in tha bayou !

I want that Brake master cylinder haha ! , Decent looking quad for age and Location , Figured they all got rode hard and put up wet down in tha bayou !

LOL!! No we take pretty dang good care of our bikes cause since my whole famiy is nothing but mechanics we don't feel like always working on our bikes. But yet we always are LMAO! And the master cylinder is seized and I don't have the rear caliper for it. It's prolly at our camp in one of the sheds from where they cleaned out the shops after we sold out when my paw paw got sick. Is it a hard to find part or something?

LOL!! No we take pretty dang good care of our bikes cause since my whole famiy is nothing but mechanics we don't feel like always working on our bikes. But yet we always are LMAO! And the master cylinder is seized and I don't have the rear caliper for it. It's prolly at our camp in one of the sheds from where they cleaned out the shops after we sold out when my paw paw got sick. Is it a hard to find part or something?

It should still be fixable , I have a rear brake kit with similar master and wanted another one to add to another project !

Ah ok.

I'd like to get it running again so I can ride some. I've been dead depressed lately and haven't been wanting to ride and now I do but the damn thing has no spark!

did you check the flywheel key , another might be a wiring issue ??

I was going to check the key but 1) I couldn't get the nut loose (I put rope down the plug hole and it just about cut off in the motor lol) and 2) it literally has zero fire. Even if it was off time I assume it should have SOME fire SOME where right?? And I've pretty much gone through the complete harness unplugging and replugging connections and nothing. I'd like to go through and cut every wire out that isn't needed but idk what I can ditch or not.

Well theres allot of info on here and i would be looking at every thread possible to fix my blasty if that's all that was wrong with it , Im doing a full motor build As well as others