So I got bored and tried it

delbow

Sep 22, 2010
Central IL
www.saltforkpaintball.com
So a few weeks ago I picked up a set of raptor brakes for a great price and got to looking at options to fit them to my blaster. I looked around and found all of the other routes of doing this but thought of one I didnt see. Why cant I fit a tapered ball joint to the top of a stock blaster arm and run banshee spindles, hubs, and brakes. I found a set of used arms courtesy of Braaaptor195 for the sole purpose of destroying them to test my idea. I got some time tonight went to the shop and started playing around. My idea seemed simple enough take the lower tapered joint from the lower arm of the blaster and fit it into the upper arm. First up I had to find a way to remove the lower tapered joint without destroying it, the arm is sacrificial and would not be used so I just ground the top down revealing that there is just a formed lip holding a plate over the joint.
Picture066.jpg

Then I was able to remove the joint itself which appears to be a steel ball with the taper and plastic molded around it while it was in the arm.
Picture066.jpg

Now off to the upper joint removal was the same as the lower. To my pleasure the lower cup and upper cup of the joint is exactly the same so the lower joint just slid right in.
Picture068.jpg

And a few temporary tacks to test everything out.
Picture069.jpg

Comparison of stock arm and pieced together arm
Picture074.jpg

All mocked up minus calipers.
Picture079.jpg

As you can see now there is quite a bit of negative camber but I currently have a set of old warrior spindles on there I will be getting a set of newer warrior or banshee spindles to fit to the set of raptor calipers I already have. If anyone is aware of any difference between the new warrior and new banshee spindles camber wise please let me know.
Thanks for looking I will have a few more pics when everything is buttoned up and finished.

As far as I'm aware all of the banshee warrior spindles are setup with the same camber. That's a major issue with spindles which people "ream" to accept the pinch style upper with the blaster.... they just don't work well....

PM sent about solution to your problem! If it works, then post it up.

Yeah I kinda figured they were the same I have a both style of warrior spindles as well as an a arm banshee sitting in the shop that I was eyeball comparing against each other and they looked about the same. Now I just need to get me those banshee spindles so I can slap those brakes on. Guy I bought the spindles from advertised them as blaster but they are for sure old warrior style. If anyone needs them let me know or I will just send them back to the guy I purchased them from.
Thanks for the support guys it is keeping me excited to keep toying around.
-Dan

Just out of curiousity, could this way also be used to replace worn ball joints? or is there no place to get factory style joints for replacement. I'm aware that common way is to replace the arm assembly. But thought I read some where that there is a way get just the ball joint.

Just out of curiousity, could this way also be used to replace worn ball joints? or is there no place to get factory style joints for replacement. I'm aware that common way is to replace the arm assembly. But thought I read some where that there is a way get just the ball joint.

I dont see this as being a fix for worn ball joints unless you were able to find a ball joint with the yamaha taper that also has an identical cup size. I am planning on ordering a set of yamaha style thread in ball joints per sicivicdude's idea I may order an extra and tear one apart to see if it would fit. But still I dont see this as being a good way of replacing them with the plentiful supply of usable arms still floating around.

Well the arms maybe plentiful but, the joints could be in question on usable side. Was hoping to find a cheaper way that wouldn't change the integrity of the arms or joints to much. Next option save for aftermarket!!

I know this is a really old post, but was curious if anyone else has tried something similar?

I have a spare set of arms and I think this winter I may swap the tapered lower ball joints to the upper arms. By merely looking at Raptor spindles - the upper ball joint mount is virtually parallel to the ground which SHOULD eliminate the excessive negative camber shown with the banshee spindle above...

Raptor hubs and spindles are everywhere and pretty cheap as well. It may be a relatively simple conversion if it works out. Thoughts?

Negative camber IS good - but not that much! About 3 degrees if I remember right when setting up my banshee.

What caused his camber issue was the fact that the blaster spindle upper mount location is made farther inward than the banshee/warrior/raptor style. Look at the raptor spindle and blaster spindle side by side. The blaster is taller and "curved" more inwards.

My only issue with this sort of thing is that you've created a "one off". While it gives you the ability to run the banshee/warrior/raptor stuff, if you ever have that now welded in place upper ball joint fail, you will HAVE to replace that with another custom made one-off unit....

Better choice is the 03+ blaster front spindles or the old norman420/new KOR front spindles modified for hydraulic front brakes. While some may argue that the modified spindles are "one-off" I disagree.... if you bent one you could go down to the yamaha dealer and order an 03+ spindle and it would work exactly the same.

agreed - the 03+ setup is ideal if found for a reasonable price. i will go that way if i find something reasonable when the time comes. i like the norman spindles but the only advantage is the availability, not really much of a money savings. i love to tinker though; that's half the fun!

like i posted in one of your a-arms threads - i think you could sell a ton of stock length upper arms that allow us to throw banshee spindles on and go. i don't know why nobody offers them! everyone knows the early blaster brakes are weak at best and want to upgrade, haha.

agreed - the 03+ setup is ideal if found for a reasonable price. i will go that way if i find something reasonable when the time comes. i like the norman spindles but the only advantage is the availability, not really much of a money savings. i love to tinker though; that's half the fun!

like i posted in one of your a-arms threads - i think you could sell a ton of stock length upper arms that allow us to throw banshee spindles on and go. i don't know why nobody offers them! everyone knows the early blaster brakes are weak at best and want to upgrade, haha.

After you buy banshee spindles and two a-arms with new ball joints, you'll be at more cost than replacement 03+ (or conversion) spindles....

One advantage is that the upper ball joint would then be replacable but the one with the most load on it, the lower, would still not be and you would still be stuck at the stock width suspension with no more travel than factory.

The conversion spindles are wildly popular for a reason which is why I haven't made a-arms for banshee spindles...