shift problem help

04blaster1628

Feb 9, 2013
Hey guys new to the forum need some help thanks an advance ...Ok so i was riding my 2004 blaster and i shifted from second to third and it just missed the gear i stopped and tried to shift down to first it clicked down as if it was shifting down but there is no.first i can just shift down and up as many times as i want without it stopping it will randomly go in gears with a bunch of random up and down shifts but if i try to accelerate in that gear it just slips? Or pops out into neutral any help would be greatly appreciated...

sounds like a shift star problem to me ?
at least thats what i'd invesitage first as it is a much more common problem that internal tranny.
the shift star and shift actuator are located inside the clutch cover, under the rear/bottom of the clutch itself.
look for loose shift star or broken/worn teeth,
and actuator motion/spring action/return to nuetral position of the arm

it be best to download the manual here.......
http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/

and watch some assembly vids.......
http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/kor-engine-assembly-no-crank-puller-needed-51169/

Thanks for the quick reply i heard of that before so i drain the gear lube take the case off then what? Sorry im new at the clutches and so forth

ok guys i got the side case off and got the clutch off to check the shift star the shift star has alot of play and it spins freely is it supposed to be able to spin freely? also how do i get it off?? thanks

ok guys i got the side case off and got the clutch off to check the shift star the shift star has alot of play and it spins freely is it supposed to be able to spin freely? also how do i get it off?? thanks

The shift start should not spin freely.There should be a spring and arm with a roller that rolls on it which in turn locks it in gear.

The shift star has a small bolt in middle.

You cant get the shift drum out unless you split the case though. Your gonna need to split case to inspect your gears, shift forks and drum.

Is this spring and arm riding on the shift star?? The 88-02 blasters had a torqx head screw that can be removed with a key and keyway behind it.The 03-06 have the shift star welded on.You say the shift star spins freely which would rule out the key.Either the spring and arm are missing (see above pic) or the shift forks are not installed correctly is most likely your problem.Let us know.

9batld.jpg

wow guys thanks for all the quick responses, but there is no bolt holding it on, and the arm and spring i took off to investigate, but the star its self spins around the shaft that its on and theres alot of play in the star. should the shift star spin with the shaft that its on, also if so how do i know how to put the star when i put it back on to make sure the gears are in the right place

http://www.blasterforum.com/searchr...15:9127094460&cof=FORID:9&q=shift+drum+&sa=Go

http://www.blasterforum.com/searchr...015:9127094460&cof=FORID:9&q=shift+star&sa=Go

Look through these see if you can find something.
There is a "key" that lines up the star with the shift drum (shaft as you called it), then should be a torx screw holding it that should (must) be loctited on.

Ok I finally got it off .. the problem was the key fell out somehow. I found it in the sidecase the only problem i have now is what makes the clicking sound when you shift ? Because its not making that noise.. i have the shift star on and the shift rod in place. But shifting up and down is silent..

Plus if you are "bench" shifting it (no power) you still have to be turning the shafts to be able to get the gears to slide on the shafts and engage each other.

Plus if you are "bench" shifting it (no power) you still have to be turning the shafts to be able to get the gears to slide on the shafts and engage each other.

Got it all figured out i had the spting on wrong for the roller ... one last thing though should something happen when i squeeze the clutch at this point. I have the basjet and clutch assembled but i squeeze the clutch it haz zero pressure? And nothings happening to the clutch?