scoops a bit different

1252smoke

Sep 27, 2009
west virginia
I ended up running the scoops all the way back to the cylinder.

Image75.jpg

Image73.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/rm125fan/Image74.jpg

The way you did it is the ONLY way I could see the mod affecting and enhancing cooling. I guess the only way to really know would be go on a good test track, lap it a few times, raytek the head. Then add the scoops, do the test laps again, hit it with the raytek again.
I'd like someone to quantify how much it actually helps.

i guarantee that my design run it cooler, it gets the air past the pipe and straight to the head, i ran hard all summer with a bunch of gncc bikes, and never noticed a loss of power from heat, like i used to on my '96, look close you'll see them

Also blasters with left side pipes run hotter because he expansion chamber runs over the head and all that heat drops down to the head and cool air cant enter as much. while right side pipe run besides the head and all the heat stay away from head and cool air can jsut breeze into the head. When i had stock pipe it sometimes overheated but now with the right side pipe and running a bit rich it doenst get hot at all.

Also blasters with left side pipes run hotter because he expansion chamber runs over the head and all that heat drops down to the head and cool air cant enter as much. while right side pipe run besides the head and all the heat stay away from head and cool air can jsut breeze into the head. When i had stock pipe it sometimes overheated but now with the right side pipe and running a bit rich it doenst get hot at all.

good thinking BUT heat rises my friend ;) optimal scoops would force air onto the head since heat rises and whats right above the explosion of fuel??? the head.. so where does the heat go?? up to the head! the upper half of the jug and the head see the most heat

Ill keep you posted on the temp. I did take a temp. before I started rebuilding this thing. Painted the frame and scoops today. To dark to get any pics. Should get my cylinder back from the machine shop on Wednesday, and hopefully have every thing back together in about two weeks. The scoops stop 1 1/2" from the cylinder. I hope it helps air flow over the head on hot days on the trail. Never had any over heating problems but since I had the blast all apart why not try making a bit better right?

Ill keep you posted on the temp. I did take a temp. before I started rebuilding this thing. Painted the frame and scoops today. To dark to get any pics. Should get my cylinder back from the machine shop on Wednesday, and hopefully have every thing back together in about two weeks. The scoops stop 1 1/2" from the cylinder. I hope it helps air flow over the head on hot days on the trail. Never had any over heating problems but since I had the blast all apart why not try making a bit better right?

nothing wrong with making things better!!!!

hell even if the temp after the scoops is only 3 degrees cooler than with out them it helps!!

another thing you can do for hot hot days of riding is run race gas or av gas, it will help resist detonation when the temps are real high

I like what you did bro.
I have the CFM scoops,
but I have no opinion on whether they cool or not since I run alcohol.
I do give props to you for thinking outside the box I:I