Sand in engine

shavezblaster

Sep 23, 2008
philly
I brought 1996 blaster that didnt start, but had alot of new things on it(bout $1,000 more than whats paid for it) It had an old air filter FULL of sand,that travel all thru that rubber air bag lookin thing that connects to carb...he put a new top end on it...it ran but cut off few minutes later..He said to clean gas filters and air filter. Also, the engine shutoff switch's wire got disconnect, said it ripped off while he was ridin', but was still able to crank it up to run days later....am i gonna have to get a new bottom end..or clean the reeds...or just check for sparks or somethin...IM LOST!!! Please help, and if possible, provide a quick tutorial on what to do...or refer me to somethin!!

Only way to tell is to take apart the motor. If you see sand all through the intake thats obviously a bad sign. When he threw a new top end in, did he notice sand in the engine or what?

Sounds like he may be blowing smoke up your hoo hoo. Does it look like a fresh top end, are there new gaskets? Also if you pull the head are there scratches that run from top to bottom of the cylinder?

new top end....seen the box with receipt...also....have had no sand in it..supposedly, after mechanic did the work for him(installin top end) guess i should start sellin it for parts huh?? he told me that he rode it twice since new top end was installed...and it cut off on him both times...

Well actually you could make a mint off it on ebay, but why not spend a little money ($50 to $100 usually) and take it to a shop and have them find out what is wrong with it.
The blaster is an awesome little machine, it would suck for you to miss out on what it has to offer.