running really rich

bored03

Feb 11, 2012
columbus, ne
Hey guys I have a 03 blaster Its bored over .40, home port job, kelhin 36mm pwk, full toomey exhaust system. I have a uni 2 stage clamp on air filter. I just had that topend rebuilt. Iwent Thur the heat cycles and took it for a ride , came back pulled the plug and seen I was running really rich. I used to have a k&n filter before the rebuild. Also I'm running 150/55 for jets ran at 32:1 premix any ideas

Not sure what jet size you should be running with that carb but most likely you will have to play with the jetting till you get it rite. That clamp on my give you jetting problem if you don't put an exstenchen on it to smooth the air flow.

Didnt know they werr so small but i took it to the atv guy in town got new spark plugs to do a plug chop. Got it warmed up put new plug it did the test,pulled the plug and found it was runnin leannd it lost compression its at 70 right. All day it was runnin rich. Im havin it leak tested today to find the leak

Yeah, bored over like that you should be 125+ psi on a relatively fresh rebuild. Are you holding the throttle open? Did you do a leakdown test? Even on one kick, I get 100psi. Was your tester screwed all the way down to the O-Ring?

Not sure about your jet sizes, Keihin are different than Mikuni, best way to check is ask the Keihin guys on here, or go to a seller and see where your numbers are compared to what is offered...you should probably want to be on the higher end of the range to start with.

Well what caused the low compression was a piece of crank bearing and it went up between the pistion and cil. So I sent it in to get a camplete rebuild. Wesco 67.5 mm hi comp piston, wesco forged bottom end, port job, toomey b1 full pipe setup, keihin 36mm pwk, uni airfilter and intake. My question is what size I should start with? I belivie it has a 255 main 50 secdary.

Well what caused the low compression was a piece of crank bearing and it went up between the pistion and cil. So I sent it in to get a camplete rebuild. Wesco 67.5 mm hi comp piston, wesco forged bottom end, port job, toomey b1 full pipe setup, keihin 36mm pwk, uni airfilter and intake. My question is what size I should start with? I belivie it has a 255 main 50 secdary.

My 35pwk liked a 165 and a 52 pilot. That 255 will be OMG rich! I'd start at 165/52 see how that does , BTW- you are gonna want to get a CEL needle, the stock ones in the PWK's don't like our blasters.

My 35pwk liked a 165 and a 52 pilot. That 255 will be OMG rich! I'd start at 165/52 see how that does , BTW- you are gonna want to get a CEL needle, the stock ones in the PWK's don't like our blasters.
I have the oko 30 and dont like stock needle as well.What is the difference between the JJJ and the CEL.Which would be better between the two.With the stock 80f this needle is just a hair to lean.

on some motors, such as your lightly modded one, that overly large carb will always run lean, no matter what size jets you use, you motor cannot pull enuf air velocity thru it for the jets to work correctly

IMO.....36mm carbs are only for the most modded bbk motors
although the all drag/top end fanatics will disagree with that, but thats all a carb that size is good for...all out top end