Rookie wants a bit more power

andreasptc

Apr 21, 2010
Remscheid, Germany
Hi community,
I´m a Blaster-Driver from germany and like the title says - I want a bit more power for my blaster. I hope my english is not that worse that nobody understand what I´m talking about. :)
It´s a `03 and nearly stock. Got a FMF Power Core with 250 main jet, k&n air filter in stock airbox, boisen power-reeds and a racing clutch (told me the pre-owner). Front and back has a 90 mm widening because I use it mostly on the street.
I´m no mechanic but I´m not to stupid to use tools like having to left hands.
What I want is a little bit more power without swapping another engine or building in a bigbore.
Maybe anyone here has some tips like changing the carb, modding the airbox or something like that.
Aftermarket-parts are sold here, but special (and funny) things are rare.
I´m planning not to spend more than 500 Euro, so it would be a low-cost-project at all.
The existing threads here ale mostly very special, so I write down my questions here and hope some guys could help me.
So - if anyone is ready laughing about my grammatic - please post me some tips. Thanks a lot - Andreas

to start, your english is understand. so good job, it just aint perfect but that is understandable.

if you have 500 euros, i would suggest you do the following mods.
get a bigger carb, take your airbox off and run a pod filter, have the head milled, get the jug ported and advance your timing.

i know these mods will run about $500ish here in the states, so you will spend around 500 euro's maybe a little more.

if you want me to, i will find you link to site of all the parts i mention.

"get a bigger carb" > which type will fit ?
"take your airbox off and run a pod filter" > have you got a link to dealer in US?
"have the head milled, get the jug ported and advance your timing" could you explain that to a dump non-mechanic???
a few links from US-dealers shipping to germany would be very kind.

by the way:

Rammstein sings "Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab nichts gesagt!"
means "you asked me and I didn´t answer"

anyway, rammstein rules and its even better german rock than any motherfuckin nazi-stuff.

Greets from germany,
Andreas

"take your airbox off and run a pod filter" > have you got a link to dealer in US?
"have the head milled, get the jug ported and advance your timing" could you explain that to a dump non-mechanic???

by the way:

anyway, rammstein rules and its even better german rock than any motherf**ckin nazi-stuff.

Greets from germany,
Andreas
milling the head is where they cut it down for more compresion. geting a port job they reshape the ports make them bigger ect for better flow of fuel and air for more power and theres a diy on the timming advance so you can do that for free

by the way:

anyway, rammstein rules and its even better german rock than any motherf**ckin nazi-stuff.

Greets from germany,
Andreas

ok here are some links for you.
the links are to show you the part, i am not saying buy from the links i posted. they are to help you understand what i am talking about.

a 30mm PWK carb
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

pod filter
UNI Pod Air Filter Keihin 28mm PWK Carb Banshee Blaster: eBay Motors (item 190430542824 end time Sep-11-10 15:25:59 PDT)

new throttle carble
Yamaha Blaster TORS Elimination Thumb Throttle cable : eBay Motors (item 200317705495 end time Aug-29-10 13:39:09 PDT)

you will have to remove the tors system, not hard since you are getting a new carb and cable.

as for the porting, on a 2-stroke engine, you have intake ports, transfer ports and exhaust ports. when you get your engine ported, they are just changing these ports to gain more power.
as for the head, you can have it milled to increase compression and you can have it cut to get a better dome shape. it will give better combustion and make more power.

there is a Do-It-Yourself thread with video to how you can do a simple port job on your blaster, there is also a video on how to mill you head a little to bump compression.

there is a DIY thread with pictures of the +4 timing advance.

another thing i would recommend is to remove the oil injection system since with the new carb, it will not work. you will now have to pre-mix your fuel at 32:1 ratio. that means you have 32 parts of gas to 1 part of oil.

if you have any more questions, please ask. i will try to help you out as best as i could.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn I am always jealouse of these countries that get to ride quads on the street! that would be so awesome to ride my blaster to the store.

Heißen Sie willkommen an Bord. Wenn Sie brauchen eine freundliche Plauderei in sind eingeborene Vaterlandzunge frei fühlt, mich eine Linie fallen zu lassen.

sheeblast - thanks for the links, I think they would really help.

scott - we got a little area in a forrest here where it´s legal to ride in with quads. but after lehmann brothers jammed theirself, gm killed Opel and BP (okay, it´s british) killed half an ocean all that reached out to germany to and I must pay so much taxes that I won´t permanently risk to pay high fees for racing through the country. :p
I think its better to spend this money in parts for my blaster, even when I mostly drive on the streets. B)

Now I´ll spend some time for reading the diy threads )and more time for a translation). Have a nice weekend.

Andreas

that sucks man, no "forest" to ride in. I'm over here wishing I could ride on the streets and you are over there wishing you could ride in the woods. ironic