Ripping splines?

Blasterman96

Mar 18, 2012
Missouri
Ok now I'm wondering how could you ripp splines off of a blaster axle?
I'm asking this because my bro back n the day said he ripped the splines off of 3 blaster axles.do you have to have a lot of power to the rear end to ripp the splines off of 3 axles. Then he bought a dureablue axle and it didn't happen again. Now the whole point I'm asks is how do you ripp the splines off a axle is it the amount of power or what?
All he had done to his blaster was port&polish, pyramid reeds(what Duncan racing uses) dg pipe and silencer, bored .60 over

The only thing I could see is the Nut coming loose and the hub moving back and forth on the axle creating stress on the splines and then them slowly Wearing until the Hub would spin on the splines ? .

My bro said the axle nuts were tight and even when he figured out the splines were messed up the nut was still tight and everything was fine besides the splines

A warn sprocket hub can cause it to wear out sooner. If it has any play it will move whenever power switches directions. I noticed mine started to do it in fall. My launch control box lets me keep the throttle pinned 100% then when I pull the clutch it cuts the igntion down by half.. so I use that to shift and keep the throttle pinned. By the end of summer I could feel a pretty good clank when it let the engine rev back up. It was my hub moving on the axle. The axle nuts are tight and it takes a lot of force to feel the play in the sprocket.

Pure power alone is very unlikely to rip splines off, The PTO shaft on a tractor has less splines but is around the same diameter as an axle, they're rated at 170 horsepower safe working load.
Something must be causing premature wear on the splines.

A warn sprocket hub can cause it to wear out sooner. If it has any play it will move whenever power switches directions. I noticed mine started to do it in fall. My launch control box lets me keep the throttle pinned 100% then when I pull the clutch it cuts the igntion down by half.. so I use that to shift and keep the throttle pinned. By the end of summer I could feel a pretty good clank when it let the engine rev back up. It was my hub moving on the axle. The axle nuts are tight and it takes a lot of force to feel the play in the sprocket.

Like 79 said worn hub....

Or could be the wrong hub, to big of a hub could shread the splines

I agree with karterphil. Takes way more force than a blaster engine with those mods could ever put out. For him to go through three would mean that he clearly wasn't installing something right, using incorrect parts, or something was way passed just worn...

most likely he messed up the hub on the first failure, and that's what did in the rest of them.

and sudden forces (ie dropping the clutch) can really wreck stuff. having the chain too tight can also cause excessive wear on everything