revs up

96'Blaster240

Feb 18, 2008
hey i just got my blaster running agian a few days ago but it revs up, it's not like an instant all out rev up but it slowly revs up, i was reading up on other topics about this and from what i think and hope it is not an airleak and just bad idle adjustments, but i just wanted a second opinion because i don't want to fire it up and end up breakin something. also i noticed that when i hit the kill switch after a minute or two i looked by the head pipe and noticed some gas leaked out. maybe jets need to be adjusted? i'm really new to the whole 2 stroke engines and really don't want to blow it up or anything but yea if i could get some help i would really appreciate it.

like all i need is some1's opinion on what the problem is, it starts off revving pretty high and i don't just want to tear everything apart just to find out it's the idle screw like i said i don't think it's an air leak because it floods out when i kill it

mine does this sometimes to. just the slow rev up. like when i stop and put it in neutral it slowly revs up. i either kill it, or put it in first and let the clutch out a bit till it slows down the engine then it seems to stop reving up slowly.

not a big issue(maybe it is...duno) but the gas leaking seems to be a bigger problem for you 96blaster.

it sounds either like an airleak or bad air/fuel mixture setting... if you want to rule out the air/fuel mixture --- turn in the air/fuel mixture screw all the way (not too tight though becuz that could damage the aluminum seating) and back it out 1 and a half - 2 turns and go from there, and just don't go out for more than 3 turns because then the screw could vibrate out.... hope this helped...

ok thanks for the help will try tomarrow, also would the 1 and a half turn work if i have a aftermarket keihin carb?

ah dam i have no clue lol it came with the quad i think it looks like a keihin pwk carb but for the size i have no clue and easy way to check?

ok now that i looked a bit better on the keihin website and the technical pdf or whatever it's called it looks like i have the 33-39mm but yea like i said is there any easy way to check what size it is exactly?

and remember kids walmart gas is starting to suck . all that corn i guess there putting into it. my chains saws no longer like to run on it.

i got my money on 34mm. lol. take the carb out and measure the inside diameter of the throat on the engine side. best to use a set of calipers, but it is possible to do it with a good ruler.

the 1 1/2 turn thing isn't fool proof. idk why everyone always says that, i guess cause it's right in the middle of the range... but ur supposed to be turned in the whole way, start the quad, and turn the screw out till it starts to idle smoothly. if you turn it out more than 3 turns, you need to get a bigger pilot jet, then redo the process. if you think it is smoothest turned out less than one turn, you may want to get a smaller pilot jet.

the thing is i can't get my blaster to idle i would try this but whenever i kick it over and it starts it's already revving up pretty good so i have no clue what might be wrong, like i said i think it might be carb related cause when i shut it off i notice gas leaking out of the head pipe

also i found out that the carb is a keihin pwk airstrikers or quadvent one hope that helps find out what's wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
so, have you tried adjusting the idle screw? is it turned all the way out? out decreases speed, in increases speed. careful, if you turn it out too far, she won't hold an idle for sh*t. could just be that the idle speed is set high and it's increasing as the engine warms.
if you've adjusted the idle speed. try checking for vacuum leaks.
once it's warmed, take a can of carb cleaner spray and spray it all over the carb, intake boot, outside of the reed cage, the cylinder head and the bottom cylinder mount. keep an ear open the whole time for the engine sound to change. if it changes the rev level then there's a vacuum leak wherever you were spraying.

ok thanks for the help, and i didn't get a chance to play with the idle screw just yet but thanks for lettin me know out lowers it and in inceases it, thanks for the help will try it out today