Removing Wheel Bearings?

on my old banshee i swore a wheel bearing was welded in cuz it had been so long since it had been changed. no matter how hard i hammered the outer layer wouldnt come out. i sprayed some 5in1 (kinda lika a better WD40) on it, left it for a few days and tried again. it tapped right outta there. just spray it and give it time to work its magic.

Did that this morning, it is currently swimming in PB Blaster. We will see how things go when I get home.

Its gonna have to be driven out from behind , and yep the socket and extension is the way to go . Heres my .02 . Put that bastard in the freezer ( in a zip loc so you don't flavor your chicken breast with PB Blaster residue ) for about 5 hours , have your vice set up ready to go and quickly take it out and flash the outer hub with a mapp gas torch and then hit that race like a red headed step child on report card day .
The sudden change in temperature will expand the hub like a German Shepherds' U Know What during the throws of passion and BAM !!!! bearing out .
I also prefer to soak really stubborn parts in coca cola , its wicked stuff , good thing I cut it with rum to protect my insides .

Its gonna have to be driven out from behind , and yep the socket and extension is the way to go . Heres my .02 . Put that bastard in the freezer ( in a zip loc so you don't flavor your chicken breast with PB Blaster residue ) for about 5 hours , have your vice set up ready to go and quickly take it out and flash the outer hub with a mapp gas torch and then hit that race like a red headed step child on report card day .
The sudden change in temperature will expand the hub like a German Shepherds' U Know What during the throws of passion and BAM !!!! bearing out .
I also prefer to soak really stubborn parts in coca cola , its wicked stuff , good thing I cut it with rum to protect my insides .

All GREAT advice, especially cutting the coke with rum and protecting the chicken breast from a PB Blaster tainting. 8-| I will give it a go tonight before making room in my freezer, maybe let you keep the change...pennies are a worthless currency these days anyway. I don't necessarily want to run out and get any mapp gas either, last time I did, damn pseudo-step-kids opened the valve and once they smelled it ran like hell instead of shutting the valve...filled the whole barn, lucky there wasn't a spark. Damn I'm happy to have kick that chick out.

SO, I hiked up my skirt and I swung away...slick said it would be a 2 beer job, he lied, I didn't even get to open the first. :( Oh well, the bearings and seals are out, just waiting for the new ones to arrive.

SO, I hiked up my skirt and I swung away...slick said it would be a 2 beer job, he lied, I didn't even get to open the first. :( Oh well, the bearings and seals are out, just waiting for the new ones to arrive.

sweet!!

That was your first mistake you didn't open the beer first here is step by step-, open beer first, drink half, get tools, drink the rest, open second one, drink half, pound out seals and bearings, piss break (as it's cold and im old), install new bearings and seals, drink rest while installing hubs. I:I

That was your first mistake you didn't open the beer first here is step by step-, open beer first, drink half, get tools, drink the rest, open second one, drink half, pound out seals and bearings, piss break (as it's cold and im old), install new bearings and seals, drink rest while installing hubs. I:I

BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA...1.5 beers and you piss break. I'm not as young as some of these whipper-snappers, but it takes me at least 2 beers. :D Half my problem was, no beer on the premises :eek:, I know, I know, mistake #2. I:eek: It is what it is though. Hopefully bearings and seals will be here Friday.

I hate to bring this back up, but... I read this whole thread and still didn't get a full deal on how to get both bearings out. One hub just had the outter bearing still in it and the inner bearing stayed on the shaft. BUTTT... the other hub has both bearings still in it and I don't see how to get one or the other out. The hub with the outter bearing was easy. So how do you get both bearings out.. ???

I hate to bring this back up, but... I read this whole thread and still didn't get a full deal on how to get both bearings out. One hub just had the outter bearing still in it and the inner bearing stayed on the shaft. BUTTT... the other hub has both bearings still in it and I don't see how to get one or the other out. The hub with the outter bearing was easy. So how do you get both bearings out.. ???

Damn, Karma is on your said Boss. I have hardly been on here in months, but tonight I had a calling...saw this thread in the New Posts.

Here is the deal, just get a screw driver or something that you can slide inbetween the bearings and swing for the fences. Doesn't matter which side you try to push out first, which ever is easiest. If you're replacing them, who cares if you damage them. Just beat them out.

Hit, move screwdriver 180 deg and hit, keep moving and hitting until it drops out.

The reason for the 180 deg swap is obvious, to stop it jamming diagonally.

If it is difficult move the screwdriver in 120 deg increments, a very tight bearing may need diagonal 90 deg steps.

Could also take it to a auto repair shop and they should be able to press it out for a few bucks unless you are as cheap as I am