removing shock springs???

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
well, got my works shocks today, and it seems the shock body's have some slight surface rust on 'em, and are just generally crusty, the springs are ok, no chips or rust,
so i stopped at advanced auto and checked on their loaner spring compressor tool, and they told me it wouldnt do my shock, i took the shock in with me, the forks were too wide
so any of my veteran bro's have any redneck ways to compress these springs so i can break these down to clean and paint the shock body's, i was thinkin of paintin them that "duplicolor red metal spec" thats on my frame
any ideas ???

Last edited:
Heres how i took them off my old works to paint the springs.

Need 2 people.

One pulls down on spring,other takes the cap with a slot off,and remove springs,well that was for my works tripple rates.

I dunno bro i have the same dilemma i desperately need to paint these yellow shocks until i get some new. Only thing i havnt tried that im thinkin about is compressing in the "40 ton press" then while the springs compressed wrap around it with some steel wire then uncompress i might try that sunday, if it works i will post a pic...

i painted my stock shocks springs black, they were yellow, without taking them apart
i cleaned 'em good, wiped 'em with thinner, and took strips of newspaper and fed it inside the springs to cover the chrome shock body, painted the springs with a couple coats and then some clearcoat, left it dry overnite, then pulled the strips of paper out, they've been holdin up good

i painted my stock shocks springs black, they were yellow, without taking them apart
i cleaned 'em good, wiped 'em with thinner, and took strips of newspaper and fed it inside the springs to cover the chrome shock body, painted the springs with a couple coats and then some clearcoat, left it dry overnite, then pulled the strips of paper out, they've been holdin up good
thats good info. I:I

dont have actual pics of how i put he paper strips in and painted the shocks, but heres a few before and after, and they were white, not yellow before
and my new works

Attachments

• dec22.jpg
    dec22.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 321
  • rc.jpg
    rc.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 286
  • HPIM1005.jpg
    HPIM1005.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 284
  • works.jpg
    works.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 304
well heres what i came up with to compress my springs and dismantle the new "works", my old neighbor dude has 3 '43 ford jeeps from the korean war, and this 2 piece contraption he made for pulling the steering wheels,
the old dude's are priceless
i drilled my workbench for the shockend and 2 for the thread, ran it up through with nut and washer underneath, then just tightened the top nuts to compress it, stopped at advanced auto and picked up more paint, same as my frame, primer and clear, gonna "mothers" the aluminum parts then paint tommorow, and touch up my frame too
finished pics soon...........

Attachments

• HPIM1555.jpg
    HPIM1555.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 313
  • HPIM1556.jpg
    HPIM1556.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 300
painted the shock body's and polished up all the aluminum parts, the bushings that the guy said he cut to fit the 250r, were the rubber ones, << matched up a piece of rubber hose, and new o-rings for the bottom ones, and got them on the blasty, didnt have time to ride it yet though

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 340
  • shock3.jpg
    shock3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 319
rode with my son today, so was goin alittle slower than usual, hes on his first quad, 300 lakota,
with about 3 rides under his belt <<< newbie
but the shocks feel a little stiff at slower speeds, but the few little jumps i did and nose dived it on purpose, felt awsome, what little i felt, the dude told me they were ordered for a 200 pounder, and im about 180 right now, after bein laid up for 16 weeks, but back to work now, so prolly headin back to the 165 range, maybe have to get 'em revalved over winter, looked at works website, looks like $40 each, not bad, we'll see..................
and that's funny freek :)

Last edited: