reeds???

jmay

Mar 21, 2010
Greenup, Kentucky
I've got 1 reed broke and i've got 1 from where i changed them last time. Will half of work right? only 1 side broke on both can i make the 2 good sides work???? waiting on new ones and want to race saturday!!!:-/

my reeds have 2 petals, 1 side is broke on 2 different ones. I just wanted to use one side of each to get by until i can get the new ones! will it work??????

i wouldn't run it with no or broken reeds, there like intake valves that 4 strokes have, just with 2 strokes...

i believe (and correct me if im wrong) there used to keep pressure in the crank/cylinder so the air/fuel charge can be sucked up to the head

also, most reeds are made of carbon fiber, which means that once they break, there's hairline cracks that form... leading it to break elsewhere (aka in your engine)

If there not lined up right it prob won't run rite if at all from what I've been told I had some in tacked just a small gap and it ran but it was a pain in the ass

It will work for a temperary fix. As far as most reeds being carbon fiber it depends on the brand, if ppl go for the cheap set of boyesen reeds then they are fiber glass. Although I nor most ppl prolly wouldn't reccomend it we have made reeds out of tin and they worked just fine, but we didn't run it very long on them, before they were replaced properly.

well they worked for about 2hrs of riding!!! same thing is happening again, so i think they're broke again!!! at least i got some riding time. I:I