Rebuilt Engine.. Now cant get it to start..

MACKattack

Apr 22, 2009
Ohio, Vienna
I bought a 1998 blaster last fall and rode it for a couple weeks. Then the piston skirt shattered because there was too much clearance. since then i cleaned out the crankcases and had the cylinder bored. purchased a new weisco piston kit. replaced all bearings, seals and gaskets throughout the entire engine and transmission. Cleaned out the carb and everything looked good.

Well after getting the engine back together agian and mounted it to the frame. soon as i turned the fuel back on it immediatly spilled out of the overflow. Took the carb back off and noticed the float was slightly bent.. straightened it out and put it back on and fixed the overflow problem. then i tried to start it but it wont even begin to fire. getting good compression, spark seems okay, noticed the bottom of the spark plug is wet with gas.. but i do not understand wat is wrong. plz help thanks!

you might of flooded it by chance. take out plug and kick it over about 6-7 times and then replace plug and try starting it. try a new plug also first it's a lot better to do the easy things first before jumping in and taking things apart. If since last fall you have same gas in tank drain it and get 92-3 premium octane if you don't already use it. people run 87 octane with no problems but it really degrades over time. especially in winter so maybe that's your problem.

Yea i tried taking the plug out and kicking it then put it back in and its the same result.. I also drained the gas and put new stuff in.. The only thing i did different other than the rebuild was i took the oil pump off pluged the lines and im premixing the oil in the gas now. not sure if that has anything to do with it? Im mixing it 24-1 like the book says.

Im thinking its either a carb problem since the float was kinda bent it let all that gas pour out the overfllow cuz it was stuck open. maybe its messed up somehow after i bent it back. but its getting gas still. The other problem could be the spark. im not sure how big the spark should be it seems like its sparking okay. but when i took the flywheel off and inspected it one of the magnets was cracked in half so maybe its not generating enough power somehow? thanks for ur help tho!

go like 32:1 on the oil mix. yeah that flywheel may be a problem i'd try a different spark plug just incase if you were mixing 24:1 it might be fouling. when a magnet breaks instead of n/s it will be n/s n/s so your getting 2 pulses instead of the one on that part of flywheel rotation but i would think it would at least still fire. also check connections and lightly sand the flywheel magnets and the pickup on the stator if it's rusted from sitting it will help your spark strength.

I don't know what you know so also make sure your key way is lined up and seated properly in the flywheel when you tighten the flywheel down otherwise your timing will be off and it won't fire at right time.

hmm not exactly sure what the key way is? but ill check it out and well c wat happens thanks for the help soo far.. ill let u kno if anything changes lol.

when you take off your flywheel there is a "half moon/circle shaped key that holds the flywheel to crankshaft to keep your ignition timing correct. if you look at your flywheel on the inside there is a slot it slides into. make sure the key is installed in the slot in the crank with the flat side facing up. then line up the slot of the flywheel with the key and make sure flywheel is installed/seated all the way towards the engine you should be able to use a light to see to verify the key is in the slot of the flywheel then tighten the flywheel nut. this would be your starting problem if it's not put together right.

it's easier to install the key on the crank when the crank slot is facing up so if it's not put it in first gear and nudge the atv foward until the crank slot spins to up position.

Alright well i was able to do some work on it tonite. checked out the flywheel it is lined up and seated properly. tried a different spark plug and actually got a little bit better spark than the other plug i was using. but still not firing at all. it doesnt even want to begin to start. im really lost it seems like everything is working just not firing. seems like its getting too much gas and its putting out the spark before it can ignite. but im not sure about that either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated tho!

When you bent your float back, did you put it back to spec, or did you just bend it? If the float height is to far off either way, you'll have trouble starting it. Check the service manual for the correct float height and how to measure it.

I did put the float back to the correct specs yesterday and i also tried removing the T.O.R.S neither of those things got it to fire tho... I also checked out the reeds.. none of them are cracked but there is a small chip at the top of one of them but im pretty sure it has always been there and im not sure that would really even affect it not being able to fire. its not even all the way through just kinda a surface chip.

I think what i will try next is putting the oil pump back on it instead of mixing the gas. Since that was the only thing i really changed other than the rebuild. Im thinkin maybe i didnt do it rite and i just want to eliminate that just so i kno its nothing i did wrong. Pretty sure its either something electrical or has somethin to do with the carb somehow. Thanks for the ideas tho! Keep em comming haha.. i wanna ride sooooo bad it was so nice out today..

did you by chance paint any part of the frame when you took motor out? if the coil or motor isn't making good contact with the frame you will lose spark because the paint works as an insulator and will stop the circuit.

Yes I actually did paint the entire frame black when the motor was out.. I had no idea that could affect anything tho. Maybe that is my problem!

yes it would be. take spark coil off frame clean paint off mounting location and bolt coil back on.see if you have better spark or starts. if no then sand paint off just the front motor mounts on either side where the motor and bolt makes contact with the motor mounts.

a few people have had the same problem before they paint there frames then forget the frame and motor is part of the electrical circuit. pretty sure it will start after you do that.

Cleaned all the mounting locations with a sander. removed all the paint and seemed to get a much more consistant spark however it still didnt even try to fire.. Tried everything i can think of to get it to fire. It just doesnt want too. Only thing i can think of is maybe getting new reads and a new flywheel. But i would hate to put that money into it and find out it wasnt even the problem cuz all that stuff worked before the rebuild.

you tried putting some gas in the plug hole or through the carb again to see if it will start? if it won't even fire it almost has to be a timing issue if your spark is good enough.