rear brake problem

sal

Sep 17, 2010
va
First, let me start off with the history of the rear caliper. I added a shorty cable, eliminating the parking break. I also put new pads on. It worked great for hours of riding and felt perfect. Then, while riding it just stopped working. I now have the caliper open and cant understand what is going on. The white plastic cap adjuster thing looks like it is adjusted all the way out and does not click anymore. Does anyone have any experience on what is going on? Is the mechanism broke or something? I dont see anything that looks broken.

im a poor college student, how much are we talking about? And how do I fix what I already have?

dont know about the cable sh*t, i dont work on those,
but for awk i think it is $120 for the complete set, but i am 100 percent sure, so dont quote me on that.

with the caliper and everything? thats not too bad. A complete gut to what I already have new is around 90

You buy your own caliper and master cylinder. He makes three brackets and modifies the pedal to push the master cylinder instead of pull it.

The three brackets are to mount the caliper, mount the master cylinder and hold the fluid cup. Pretty slick unit and apparently the best rear brakes ever put on a blaster BUT they're pricey.

So cann you post up some pics of your unit? The operation is fairly simple...

There's a self adjuster (white plastic piece that clicks) and two steel plates with grooves cut in them that get closer as they turn clockwise against each other and three ball bearings that fit in those grooves. Oh, one important piece you might not have in there any more, a spacer that goes between the assembly and inner pad. That missing would cause your self adjuster to hit its limit and the assembly to still not work.

thanks guys. I figured it out. Under the plastic rachet top piece it was frozen. I used a screwdriver and got it loose, so obviously its not adjusting like it should. I know what my next mod will be sooner or later. If I dont wreck it first from these stupid brakes malfunctioning.