Rear Adjustment help

ryanbohr

May 2, 2012
Michigan
I took apart my rear brake to replace the pads, because they were the originals from '00. I have it back together now, and I am having trouble adjusting them. I loosened the lock nut on the parking brake and put the adjustment nut all of the way in. I loosened the adjustment nut and adjusted the cable going into the caliper counterclockwise like the manual says, then put everything except the addjustment nut on the caliper back to how it was. The pad is still rubbing on the discX(. I re-tried it again, then again but turned it the other way, and I can't get it to stop rubbing. Also, with the parking brake on, should it be possible to move the wheels by hand at all?

did u back the piston out before putting it back together? pull the white clicky thing and back it out with a flat head get it close to the caliper and put it back together if its good adjust the cables if not go a click or 2 in and repeat it again. they are a headache im new here but had this problem a few times always worked for me

I backed the piston all the way in. What I don't understand is that if you push on the lever lets say 100 times when a disc isn't on for example, won't the pad just keep getting closer and closer to the inner pad? If the disc is on and you push the brake lever a bunch, it will just start touching the disc when the brakes aren't applied because there is nothing to pull back the pad away from the disc. This is the first time that I've ever dealt with mechanical brakes, so I am totally lost here.

it wont get any closer there are supposed to have self adjusting pads but it has never happened for me usually it will push out and come back in. id say loosen all cables all the way in back the piston out go a click or 2 in put cover back on use foot pedal to test if nothing go another click or 2 in once it starts to grab using the foot pedal do the rest of adjusting with cables. it may take a min ive had to do it a few times the first took me 2 hours. hope it helps

take it apart use some fine grit sandpaper on the housing where the pad rides use a little grease and lube it up pad just may not be sliding easy enough to pull back out?