race kart not running

blaster1993

Jul 14, 2009
Ireland
getting fuel. nearly sure its gettingair and a strong spark.. and it still wont run.. im thinking carb tuning is my problem but dont know how to tune it.. :( canany1 help?

so you are getting a strong spark?
is the plug wet or dry after you try to start it?

if you are getting both fuel and spark, then the only thing left is lack of compression. it needs new rings and maybe a piston.

if plug is wet, you are getting fuel.
see if you have a good strong spark.
if you have spark and fuel, then you need compression.

there should be compression tho :( .rebuilt it few weeks ago. (not engine) hadit running about 3weeks ago and left it in storage.. and now it wont run...

well if you have a good spark and getting fuel, then it is lack of compression.
take a compression reading and see what it is.
also check the timing

most likely H is high revs, L is low revs.

have you tried a fresh plug and what kind of motor are we dealing with?

^^^ id go with that... also how old is the gas... if its been sitting for a while may be old gas. flooding an engine with old gas will definitely stop it from starting

is it a kt100 with a walbro carb or what? i somewhat know those engines and the carbs on them. if it is that setup, there should be a small adjusting screw in the "L" position, and a big t handle setup in the "H" position. the "H" is how much fuel that gets dumped in when your hammering it. the "L" affects fuel mix at idle. screw the L one in and back it out like 1 1/2 turns

is it a kt100 with a walbro carb or what? i somewhat know those engines and the carbs on them. if it is that setup, there should be a small adjusting screw in the "L" position, and a big t handle setup in the "H" position. the "H" is how much fuel that gets dumped in when your hammering it. the "L" affects fuel mix at idle. screw the L one in and back it out like 1 1/2 turns

you nailed it man..two screws are like that.. gas is about two months old.. what about the h screw??

you nailed it man..two screws are like that.. gas is about two months old.. what about the h screw??

do you have a mychron or digatron on the kart? if so, the h screw will vary. if that is the same engine i'm talking about, you should have a cylinder head temp lead from right under the spark plug to a gauge on the steering wheel. you want to adjust the "H" screw to where your hitting 400 degrees at the very end of the longest straightaway on the track. so if your not racing, keep it under that. it just assures you that your getting the jetting right to the max potential on the track your racing at. its been a while, but i think we had ours set at like 2 or 2 1/2 turns out, and adjusted it once on the track from there

do you have a mychron or digatron on the kart? if so, the h screw will vary. if that is the same engine i'm talking about, you should have a cylinder head temp lead from right under the spark plug to a gauge on the steering wheel. you want to adjust the "H" screw to where your hitting 400 degrees at the very end of the longest straightaway on the track. so if your not racing, keep it under that. it just assures you that your getting the jetting right to the max potential on the track your racing at. its been a while, but i think we had ours set at like 2 or 2 1/2 turns out, and adjusted it once on the track from there

sorry man im not that fancy yet.. nothing to show the temp.. :(

get rid of that petrol man !!! not ment to use any more then a month old (i have before and ran fine ) but it will only make iit harder to start

here the pics.................

Attachments

• Photo0277.jpg
    Photo0277.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Photo0278.jpg
    Photo0278.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Photo0279.jpg
    Photo0279.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo0280.jpg
    Photo0280.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 156
that is a hpv100 i believe, but i'm pretty sure that is a walbro carb. do you have to use a starter box to start it? or does it have a starter on it? i never had a hpv engine, so i dont know exact specs. but i will tell you, jetting is really touchy on the race kart engines. if your idle screw is rich, it wont start at all. and you'll have to wait a little bit for the cylinder to dry out before it will start. i'd say change your fuel, turn the fuel mix screws in and try it again