Project "Green Blaster'd" -from parts unknown

on.fire.23

Apr 16, 2012
Iroquois, Ontario
Hello Guys... been lurking on here for about a week now, collecting information for my blaster build...

Quick history:

I build street bikes and race bikes typically... currently I have a ZX7RR that is getting a build from the ground up as a Replica bike, I have many former WSBK and AMA parts to bolt on to this beast... aiming for 145bhp

I had 3 bikes, traded one off for a 2003 Raptor 660R... did a maintenance build on it, replaced ball joints, bearings, seals, cleaned up the aluminum and just finishing the fairings and decals this weekend. This is my first 4 wheeler that isnt a slow 4x4 and I love it!!

So I didnt want to leave my girlfriend at home all the time... she is a student and doesnt have the income I do, I am a Civil Eng. Tech.... So i wanted to buy her a cheap 4 wheeler to follow me around on.

I stumbled upon this 1999 Yamaha Blaster, engine had been completely rebuild last may... I have the invoice and here is a quick over view of what was done:
New Cylinder & Con Rod
New Crank
Carb rebuild
All new seals through out
Transmission was looked over (comments - great condition)
Complete tune up

Cost $1500

There is a set of new Maxxis Tires on it.

I paid with ownership $900 canadian

The Bad:
-rear bearings shreaded
-front end had not been greased in a while
-rear brakes shot
-front brakes on the way out
-sprockets worn out
-chain worn out
-grips are torn up
-seat needs a recover
-plastics are split in half and missing tabs
-front bumper is mangled
-heel guards are beat up

Here are some pics the weekend I picked her up.

DSC04714.jpg

DSC04715.jpg

DSC04716.jpg

So plan was to strip this bike down completely catalogue everything and make sure all the parts that need replace get replaced.

DSC04717.jpg

DSC04718.jpg

DSC04719.jpg

DSC04720.jpg

2 hours on a friday night got me to this point.

Note that I am working out of my 10x10 shed that I built... just bought the house last september and using it as a stepping stone to build my next house...

I build my race bikes in the basement as a rolling chasis and then drop the engine in out in my little shop.

The reason for assembly in the house is that its been snowing and hail out and it rained all weekend...

So tonight I will torque everything to spec... and install the engine in anticipation for the rear swing arm tonight...

you're making some good, speedy progress there !!!!!

keep them pics coming

you're making some good, speedy progress there !!!!!

keep them pics coming

I wanted to build it in less than 2 weeks... but the weather and new puppy have put a halt to that... (it will be 2 weeks into the build as of this friday....)

Tonight I want to get the engine in, and assemble the rear axle with new bearings...

I am a picture whore... I like to see pics and take them... so stay tuned!!

Looks good! Think about front hydro brakes or at minumum the rears!

She has never riden a manual 4 wheeler before...

I want to keep the build under $1200 right now until i find out if she likes 4 wheeling or not...

If she does then next year I will be buying her a newer one... maybe a 350 Raptor...

This is more or less a budget restore

get some pics of them streetbikes into an album on your profile !!!!!

here is a pic of a few of them...

first... this is a bone stock ZX7R with 5,600km on her

4adcfba4.jpg

Here is the current project... this was last years build... I dont have pics of this years build yet... its still in pieces after i stripped the frame and had parts painted and PC'd

971d71d6.jpg

30a87fa0.jpg

3acabb53.jpg

DSC04458-1.jpg

DSC04556-1.jpg

DSC04468-1.jpg

DSC04452.jpg

969c2b73.jpg

Made some great progress last night even though the weather was sh*t...

Moved the Blaster out onto the back porch... yeah, its blue... i put a new porch on the front last fall... new deck this year now!!

DSC04728.jpg

DSC04729.jpg