Project Deathblast

JeepOfDeath01

Nov 19, 2011
Miami, FL
So I picked up this '98 Blasty on Thursday for 600 bucks....it's not in terrible shape but definately needs some work. I bought new tires, handlebars, and an FMF Fatty pipe with a TC2 silencer on friday.

IMAG0156.jpg

Today I stripped it down to the frame to paint everything while I'm waiting on parts.

IMAG0159.jpg

Chopped the rear fenders as they were in really rough shape along the edges.

IMAG0157.jpg

Stripped all the jacked up pearl while paint off of all the plastics, took my time sanding and sanding and more sanding,. then whet sanding with 2k grit to make everything extra smooth. Started painting them my favorite color....Flat Black!!! (this is why all the prep work...Flat black shows EVERYTHING!!!) I still have the rear fenders paint tomorrow but got the sanding out of the way at least.

IMAG0160.jpg

Then I got bored and found some Textured metallic paint in the garage and decided to use it on the UGLY white wheels. Kinda crappy picture, looks really good in person with the copper flake.

IMAG0162.jpg

That's all for now...more to come tomorrow.

Welcome to the BF.COM dirt pile!

A few coats of clear-coat on them rims will help protect your paint from chipping.

A few coats of clear-coat on them rims will help protect your paint from chipping.[/QUOTE]

I used the same paint on my jeep axles like 2 years ago with no clear and with all the abuse I put those things through the paint still looks pretty good. And I'm pretty sure my axles take more of a beating than those rims will. That stuff is super thick!

looks good, but whats up with the seat?

I don't know...looks like the PO recovered it with that Honda cover. At least its in good shape. I'll recover it one of these days. Just not really a concern right now. No reason to spend more money on something that doesn't need fixing.

Welcome! Looks like a good start all but the jeep and honda labels! Ya know Jeeps are for guys who can't handle a fullsize truck!! J/K bro, I'm a Bronco guy so we bust you jeepers all the time!

Thanks guys! I started using a wire wheel to strip the frame today and came to the conclusion that it was going to take FOREVER doing it that way. Plus these frames just have too many hard to reach places. I was never going to get to them all doing it by hand....sooo, I picked up 100 lbs of blast media and fired up the portable sand blaster. Took me 2 hours to do the strip it clean. Tomorrow I have to blast the A-arms, swing ARM and steering tube, then I can finish painting everything. Red frame, flat black plastics, and white accents....very rat-roddish. On another note I was able to brush all the used sand into the gaps between the pagers in my driveway! 2 for 1 baby!

Welcome! Looks like a good start all but the jeep and honda labels! Ya know Jeeps are for guys who can't handle a fullsize truck!! J/K bro, I'm a Bronco guy so we bust you jeepers all the time!

Haha! That's cool, my best friend drives a 1st gen 4runner and we bust eachothers balls all the time even though we help eachother with our rigs all the time. Matter of fact I have a "Toyota recovery point" sticker on my rig and he has a "jeeps are cute, barbie drives one" on his. Love the feuding! I don't drive no barbie jeep! I'm running a custom double triangulated 4 link rear, 3 link front with hydro assist, a high pinion 44 front and 9 in rear on 37 hummvee's, double beadlocks, and full cage...I know there's no rockcrawling in s. Fla but I travel at least twice a year to moab, las cruces, harlan, or Johnson valley. And as of 2 months ago its my daily driver! Did I mention that with my hitch cargo rack my blaster fits in the back perfectly?:D and for the record hummers suck....winched wo many out of the mud down here I've lost count...

[I used the same paint on my jeep axles like 2 years ago with no clear and with all the abuse I put those things through the paint still looks pretty good. And I'm pretty sure my axles take more of a beating than those rims will. That stuff is super thick!
[/QUOTE]

What kinda paint you using? Seems most folks have problems with the paint chipping after painting their atv rims.

[I used the same paint on my jeep axles like 2 years ago with no clear and with all the abuse I put those things through the paint still looks pretty good. And I'm pretty sure my axles take more of a beating than those rims will. That stuff is super thick!

What kinda paint you using? Seems most folks have problems with the paint chipping after painting their atv rims.[/QUOTE]

Rustoleum hammered metallic.

Most paint chipping problems stem from poor surface preparation.

If paint is applied over other paint, the surface must be abraded all over to provide a key for the fresh paint.

If you use a second or third coat, the surface should be abraded between each coat, unless you are using the wet on wet method.

Adding extra coats of paint can cause worse chipping because the paint coat is thicker, therefore less flexible :) .

Haha! That's cool, my best friend drives a 1st gen 4runner and we bust eachothers balls all the time even though we help eachother with our rigs all the time. Matter of fact I have a "Toyota recovery point" sticker on my rig and he has a "jeeps are cute, barbie drives one" on his. Love the feuding! I don't drive no barbie jeep! I'm running a custom double triangulated 4 link rear, 3 link front with hydro assist, a high pinion 44 front and 9 in rear on 37 hummvee's, double beadlocks, and full cage...I know there's no rockcrawling in s. Fla but I travel at least twice a year to moab, las cruces, harlan, or Johnson valley. And as of 2 months ago its my daily driver! Did I mention that with my hitch cargo rack my blaster fits in the back perfectly?:D and for the record hummers suck....winched wo many out of the mud down here I've lost count...

Great set up! Ever had any trouble with that 44? I was into mudding more than rocks, But sure don't miss that 33gallon tank! and 8 miles a gallon! Throw up some pics of your beast bro!

Looks like it will definitely look cool.... But with such an impressive thread title, what kinda mods do you plan on?

Looks like it will definitely look cool.... But with such an impressive thread title, what kinda mods do you plan on?

Having it ported as we speak.....28mm mikuni flat slide, weisco EVERYTHING, 4deg timing advance, ex400 rear, banshee fronts, and really that's about it, would like to keep it semi reliable, mostly just trail riding with it so no need to get crazy. and you're just upset u didnt come up with that name...

here's yesterdays sandblast pic:

Where i was trying to wirewheel.

IMAG0163.jpg

Post sandblast:

IMAG0165.jpg