Problem with exhaust stud, need help!!!

indianablaster

Sep 18, 2010
East Central Indiana
ok so when i was putting my exhaust back on i was tightening the two nuts that hold on the manifold and one just kept spinning:eek:... well the exhaust stud was just spinning freely so i backed it out and when i examined the stud the gaps between the threads had metal in them which i picked out of the threads... just wondering if that sounds like a heli-coil insert? what should i do... keep in mind i have never drilled and tapped anything and not sure how the heli-coil system works? any personal experience in this issue would be greatly appreciated I:I

ok so when i was putting my exhaust back on i was tightening the two nuts that hold on the manifold and one just kept spinning:eek:... well the exhaust stud was just spinning freely so i backed it out and when i examined the stud the gaps between the threads had metal in them which i picked out of the threads... just wondering if that sounds like a heli-coil insert? what should i do... keep in mind i have never drilled and tapped anything and not sure how the heli-coil system works? any personal experience in this issue would be greatly appreciated I:I

Clean the threads on the stud with a wire brush. Take some compressed air and blow out the hole. It's usually easiest to see when you stand the quad up on it's back wheels. Look in the hole with a flashlight and see if there is anything left and then try to thread the screw back in....there might still be some threads left for it to attach to. If that doesn't work, you have stripped it. You will have to drill the hole with a slightly bigger bit, then get a tap and rethread the hole you drill and get a larger sized stud to use.

ok so i want to drill the old threads out but i can't reach the exhaust stud hole plus i dont see how i would have room to use the tap either... so what do you guys suggest... i thought about getting a drill bit extension if i could find one, but i would still have problems with the tap as it runs into the frame... i guess taking the engine out would be my best bet to make sure i drill straight and the new threads are cut properly for the insert... any other ideas? i dont want to remove just the cylinder head because i am not ready to deal with more stripped studs, just want to get this one fixed;) just looking for ideas

Reactions: roadkill
Think I've seen loctite thread repair at auto parts, kind of like thread locker. Maybe even JB weld. If it doesn't work you haven't broke anything. Reason I suggest this is that you may run into problems getting swing arm bolt out .

what i did with mine when that happened is pulled my motor out and drilled it from there. is is almost impossible to drill when the engines still in the quad. but i used 8x1.25 heli-coils.

ok so i pulled the engine, drilled it out and put the helicoil in... pretty simple and only took about 2 hours... luckily that swingarm bolt came out real easy with a couple rubber mallet taps... hardest part was putting the engine back in and getting the mounting bolts to line up (had the fiance help with this one lol I:I) Thanks again for the suggestions and help.... love this forum!!!!!!!:)
some rep for roadkill on this one!!!