Porting

Zbskater400

Aug 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Need more power but the current mods I have are 3 mil crank , fmf with toomey silencer and open lid. I've been going to Ken for a while now because he lives 20 mins from me but have yet to get my cylinder ported but it's time. If he ports my cylinder and gives me a head mod should I look into upgrading my carb ?

Need more power but the current mods I have are 3 mil crank , fmf with toomey silencer and open lid. I've been going to Ken for a while now because he lives 20 mins from me but have yet to get my cylinder ported but it's time. If he ports my cylinder and gives me a head mod should I look into upgrading my carb ?

You certainly could. but the stock carb has a well deserved reputation of being the last thing that needs to be changed.

Steve

we basically have the same setups, besides pipes. I have +3, Kens PnP, Head mod, uni filter, no lid, dyno port. Going to use stock carb, havent ran it yet but should be good to go!

You may. Theoreticly you didn't change any flow in or out of the motor, just that it is more efficent.

I changed too much stuff when I had mine Ported to give a good answer there. If your in doubt, do a plug chop.
True, I've gotten pretty well with this but once I get it all back together I'll leak test and do a plug chop to confirm, I'm honestly suprised I dont technically have to upgrade my carb. When it's it necessary to upgrade to a 34?

True, I've gotten pretty well with this but once I get it all back together I'll leak test and do a plug chop to confirm, I'm honestly suprised I dont technically have to upgrade my carb. When it's it necessary to upgrade to a 34?

Big bores, right bend pipes, etc. I tires running a 34mmPJ on my stock stoke/bore ported motor last year with a F7 pipe. I missed the stock carb, if for nothing else, how simple it is to get dialed in. My top end was 3 seasons old at the time, that might have played a part in it too.

The main thing is do what your comfortable with and what is going to make you happy. I just comment on things based on my experiences and how things worked out for me.

Big bores, right bend pipes, etc. I tires running a 34mmPJ on my stock stoke/bore ported motor last year with a F7 pipe. I missed the stock carb, if for nothing else, how simple it is to get dialed in. My top end was 3 seasons old at the time, that might have played a part in it too.

The main thing is do what your comfortable with and what is going to make you happy. I just comment on things based on my experiences and how things worked out for me.
I like hearing your experiences, I just want the best performance without loosing bottom or top end. I'm buying a dyno port soon but if you think I don't need a bigger carb that's fine. One less thing I have to worry about lol

My son and I ran FMF pipe, modified head, moderate porting, and more open airbox.
Also built a 32hp DT200 cylinder on a Blaster.
He tried a 34 and 38 carb on various builds but always came back to stock carb so far, mainly for a smooth running.

Steve

Will I have to alter my jetting ?
YES !!

You may. Theoreticly you didn't change any flow in or out of the motor, just that it is more efficent.

If your in doubt, do a plug chop.

Porting DOES change the flow in and out !! Otherwise there would be no reason to port it .

It's all relative to where and how you ride. More wide open riding would favor a larger carb, tighter, technical trails smaller carb.
If you needed a new carb or wanted a bit more, a 28 would be a good choice. Fits the boot on intake and air box

Port you say? If you want more power and be faster, go to Ken. If you want to win, go to Flotek.

You can run your stock carb, as long as you rejet, but once you start flowing better, you'll need a bigger carb. We've ran upwards of 36mm on a 200cc build. It ran amazingly well. Well enough to the point that the people it beat wouldn't believe it was a 200cc machine.

If you want to win, go to Flotek.

glad to see you back around !

but flobee ain't winning anything anymore.
he's out of business, as is wildcard.
and the guys running KOR drag builds are running the same low 8 ET #'s

Aw. I liked watching the builds. I learned a lot from them, many private emails and secrets shared. That avatar of mine is based on specs they gave me back 5-6 years ago. It's actually a YT175. Brother an I cut triples and boyesens followed by a bunch of reshapping and cleaning of ports. Managed to stuff blaster reeds into it. The stock were amazingly anemic. I couldn't get my hands on a pipe.. so i hand built my own! I also milled the head down o my drill press. Went from 95 psi to 145. It had a decent looking chamber, so i wasn't worried about the shape.

Talk about flying! machine weighed in around 230lb or something like that. It was a hard tail. Terrifying if it wasn't flat and you were on the pipe lol.

I answered too soon :)

a quick youtube search for yt175 porting has Gabriel at the top of the list :)

triples

boysens

test run

OOLLLD lol. YT the same principals work for the blaster as for drilling the ports.

The port job came out alright, but really needed a pipe and more compression. I ended up opening that cylinder to far. I was a fool and cut the transfer out to far on the base of the jug. I've still got it. Either the cases will needed welded up and machined to match (ideal) or the jug needs welded up and machined. It really needed a high comp head.

Basically, I took off the part outlined here. YT175 mess up.JPG

I ended up going with the pot job you see in avatar for that machine. The auto clutch was a pita to deal with. I removed several weights so it would have a nice rpm stall, at the expensive of clutch life. I also made my first 2 stroke pipe for that machine. Hideous! lol. It much better than the stock pipe... But the only welder i had was an AC 225 Lincoln arc welder. Try that on some sheet metal lol.

On a side note, the YT175 piston and the blaster have the same bore and piston pin and pin location. The YT has a taller dome on the piston. It may make for a higher comp blaster build, Port timing wouldn't be affected.

Thew YT175 cylinder will bolt to the blaster with spacers. It is set up for a 50mm stroke opposed to a 57mm though. The exhaust port can be opened more than the blaster. The reed are waaaay smaller. I'd argue that they are 2/3rds the size of a stock blaster cage. I did make some carbon fiber petals. Eventually I stuff blaster reeds into the intake after thinning the walls and adding a reed spacer. I also ran either a 30 or 32mm carb (i can't recall). It was tuned for 8500RPM and a wiiide power band due to the auto clutch. All the info is on 3wheelerworld.com.

After 2 years of WOT, i grenaded the piston. I haven't focused on it since i got my Tecate 3 lol

The YT had inferior sleeve and bottom end bearings. If i was going to build that YT175 machine back up... I'd bolt in a blaster motor, it's a damn near drop in (already test fitted). Then we can talk about a good platform to start from!

The YT175 also lacks a swinger... With the blaster swinger fitting up with the engine.. Why not? I personally think that would be a ridiculously fun ride. The YT175 suffered from bad engine placement due to honda patents. All the Tri-moto are very wheely happy machines.

As for video's
Here's a few of one of the blasters we built up. People still don't believe it, even after seeing it. It also throws that pipe dyno shootout info we seen out the window. The FMF fatty seems to do pretty good at 10.5k RPM.

Kenny is our test jocky. He's fairly experienced and knows how to deal with power very well. He spent a good deal of his earlier years growing up in Waynoka OK, at the dunes. He's the proud owner of a 86 ATC 250r (and a bunch of other junk lol) and is building a cr500 motor for it.

Guy we sold that blaster to got it dynoed at 32hp. The head wasn't chambered, just milled. CDI was stock, just advanced timing. Pipe, even though it pulled hard, could have been better flowing. We've got a similar build with a lower comp, but chambered head and drag pipe. It's waaay faster all around compared to the blaster in the videos. I wish we had some videos of it. It's under the knife and has been for some time. That whole life thing has been happening.

Last edited: