porting question

bonedust

Jun 15, 2013
What are the benefits of a ported engine. I know BB will give more torque (grunt). What changes in engine performace will there be. Really I want to know what I will feel at the seat of my pants of ported vs non ported.:-/

Just had my lt250r ported. Basically lost all bottom end but it pulls like crazy up top now. You can get porting done to match your needs though. Have the power come on wherever you like. I have heard it the best bang for your buck for 2 strokes.

Porting changes the amount of air that can pass through the engine; more air needs more fuel, together gives a more powerful combustion. Power delivery (rpm range where the power is at) has to do with port timing, which goes beyond what I feel I'm knowledgeable enough to explain. Peak HP is great to talk about and looks really cool on a dyno chart but what good is 50hp at 11K if you can't maintain more than 6500 RPM's when you are actually riding? That's where the terms like "trail port" and "drag port" comes in. A drag port will make more peak HP but it will be in/at and RPM that is impossible for normal riders to ever use. Find a good engine builder and talk to him about your riding, he should be able to match a port job which you will get the most benefit from.

Porting will give a good power increase and get even better as you add performance parts that match the type of porting you have. The type of porting will depend on how you want your Blaster to perform.

A non ported cylinder to a ported cylinder(w/ head mod) is night and day difference.Just to give you a general idea A ported stock cylinder will make more power than an unported bb cylinder.It's all in the porting.Of course there will always be other mods to compliment the porting such as pipe,carb,reeds,air box,etc.

I have Ken Oconner porting my 240 BB. I don't know how mild or how wild he will port it. He doesn't specify on his website. I do have all the aftermarket goodies to compliment it. 34mm kehien, LRD pipe, vforce 4 reeds, open air, 32:1 mix, 4 inch longer, 4inch wider, 400ex rear shocks, long travel fronts, durablue adjustable rear axle and brand new 20x11x9 itp tech 4 xc boots. Just anxiously waiting for Ken to get my jug done and sent. Maybe 2 weeks to wait..