plug chop, am I lean?

NOVIS

Apr 22, 2009
little hick town in Ontario, Canada
I did a plug chop. I got a picture but not sure if I can upload it from my phone. Its got a 2-3 mm very faint grayish ring. that means I'm running a bit lean right? Should I just bump up the main jet or should I adjust other part of the carb as well. When I get my internet back up ill post the picture

You want it more brown then that, I would go up a few sizes and work your way down. Is this for a blaster? What mods?

Every bike likes something different. Buy a few plugs and start richer until you get that color. Doing this takes time but still cheaper than a dyno tune and cant beat real world tuning anyways on a 2 stroke:)

Every bike likes something different. Buy a few plugs and start richer until you get that color. Doing this takes time but still cheaper than a dyno tune and cant beat real world tuning anyways on a 2 stroke:)

BENCE, I see you from time to time on YFZ central posting stuff like this above ^^^ and you seem to be a helpful guy. I've also noticed there aren't too many helpful guys on central, which is why you stood out. Good to see you over here, dude!

Started at 300. Plug chop said a bit rich. Ran a 290 for a bit and it felt beautiful. I think I may be a bit lean still on the pilot so I might drop the needle down 1 notch and see how it runs. at least I'm riding worry free now I:I

Altering the needle will not fatten up the idle, it is adjusted by the air screw!

If you drop the needle down you will run leaner, or did you mean drop the clip down to lift the needle up?

It was from my lt. I have reeds and a dg pipe. Haven't been able to find out what the stock jets are so I was lost at where to start

Just noticed that you have a DG pipe, a #290 main jet seems a very big jet for a DG.

Have you done a leak down test?

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but a #290 with a DG, shouts ,air leak, especially if you think it is lean at idle.

Choppy up to 1/2 throttle and a big main which may mask an air leak!

Leak down test!

I did a plug chop. I got a picture but not sure if I can upload it from my phone. Its got a 2-3 mm very faint grayish ring. that means I'm running a bit lean right? Should I just bump up the main jet or should I adjust other part of the carb as well. When I get my internet back up ill post the picture

Well have I been barking up the wrong tree, I assumed we were talking of a Blaster, you did not mention it was a LT250.

An LT250 is a different kettle of fish, forget all that I said.